Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 520 Series SSD Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Intel 520 Series SSD Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

For those curious about the performance of Intel's 520 Series Serial ATA 3.0 solid-state drives under Linux, here are a couple open-source disk performance benchmarks comparing the 120GB Intel SSDSC2CW12 to a few other HDD/SSDs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There has been some discussion recently about the write latency dealing with SSDs, it might be interesting to expand out your benchmark tests to include such data (if possible?)

Comment

I actually use one of these, thanks for the benchmark!

Comment

It also appears to be inline with the fact that larger SSD's should perform better than small ones. When 1TB SSD's are more common and come down in price a bit, I think that will be the sweet spot for most people. I've experienced the difference between a 60GB and a 240GB so with SSD's, the bigger, the better.

Comment

I heard recently (at least, in the last year) that some Intel SSDs have errors when writing a lot of data (like when installing linux). Does that one exhibit that behaviour? At any rate, when I choose an SSD, it's for reliability...

Comment

Interesting. I am thinking about getting one as well. The 2 minute boot times can get quite annoying at times, and last I checked Btrfs did a pretty nice job with hybrid SSD/HDD setups, too.

On reliability, I'm not sure what to expect... On one hand HDDs are not very reliable due to all the moving parts and using magnetic media. On the other hand, SSDs have limited writes, last time I checked, so they need load balancing in order for the data to not reach that point. Unless they improved the situation recently?

Comment

Everyone stay the f*ck away from OCZ SSDs. Avoid them like the plague. Here is why:
              Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

What about doing the same while trying different filesystems ? Like F2FS, Btrfs, etc...

Comment

is This Toms hardware? why are you Benchmarking a 64GB SSD vs 120GB vs 240GB SSD? none of them will run at the same at all in Benchmarks it needs to be 120GB vs 120GB you can put a intel 120GB vs a intel 240GB and the 240GB SSD will most likely kill it in Benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    is This Toms hardware? why are you Benchmarking a 64GB SSD vs 120GB vs 240GB SSD? none of them will run at the same at all in Benchmarks it needs to be 120GB vs 120GB you can put a intel 120GB vs a intel 240GB and the 240GB SSD will most likely kill it in Benchmarks
                    As said in the article, these are just some quick tests for reference purposes and done with the few drives that I have available.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X