Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Ubuntu SDK To Look At Ports To Windows, OS X

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,302

    Default Ubuntu SDK To Look At Ports To Windows, OS X

    Phoronix: Ubuntu SDK To Look At Ports To Windows, OS X

    Ubuntu developers are looking at how to bring the Ubuntu SDK for application development to Windows and OS X operating systems...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0Nzc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    113

    Default I usually don't troll but...

    Qt already works in all platforms. Why would anyone wrap the Qt SDK in a layer of cheat?!
    Are they trying to fork Qt? They've already patched it to run their crappy display server, how much crap have they added to Qt so it doesn't compile to windows and mac?

    Every single piece of cheat they create only runs on Ubuntu and they all run like cheat. Unity, Mir, Ubuntu One, Software Center, Compiz/unity, Launchpad...

    BTW, I've just discovered I can't install Ubuntu One in other distros. And that crap runs like cheat on Android and Windows.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    ...
    Welcome to the Microsoft of Linux.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    480

    Default

    There a many "easy" ways to create non-portable apps with Qt. It's not all in the toolkit.

    A trivial example is to create files/folders where casing matters: two files, one named 'Config' and the other 'config'.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    277

    Default

    I hope Ubuntu will eventually die. It's a cancer for Linux, a trojan horse.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    Qt already works in all platforms. Why would anyone wrap the Qt SDK in a layer of cheat?!
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cheat

    I think you are misusing that word.
    Are they trying to fork Qt?
    No.
    They've already patched it to run their crappy display server, how much crap have they added to Qt so it doesn't compile to windows and mac?
    You obviously do not know what you are talking about.
    Every single piece of cheat they create only runs on Ubuntu and they all run like cheat. Unity, Mir, Ubuntu One, Software Center, Compiz/unity, Launchpad...
    Let me excuse the misuse of "cheat" for a bit. You are a liar.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    Let me excuse the misuse of "cheat" for a bit. You are a liar.
    Thanks. Yes, I meant a layer of shit, crap, poo, fecal matter, stool or feces.

    I'm not lying. Here is Qt SDK avaiable for Linux, Mac, Win http://qt-project.org/downloads.
    And when they bundled Qt SDK with their shit, it's Ubuntu only. Here is a slogan:
    "Qt with Shit™, only on Ubuntu."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    I don't understand. They talk about porting, but then the idea is just do what anyone would do when their platform they want to code for is not supported by the SDKs that run on their preferred system: run the system on a VM. What's the point on 'porting' if you end up doing that? Or is 'VM' used as in JIT compilers and such?

    On another subject, this
    potentially just not for ruinning apps but also for the development environment.
    Made me smile.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I meant a layer of shit, crap, poo, fecal matter, stool or feces.

    I'm not lying. Here is Qt SDK avaiable for Linux, Mac, Win http://qt-project.org/downloads.
    And when they bundled Qt SDK with their shit, it's Ubuntu only. Here is a slogan:
    "Qt with Shit™, only on Ubuntu."
    They simply made the Ubuntu plugins for Linux. Now that they are confident that it works, they can port it to Mac and Windows.

    That is the very same method that Sailfish took. Their SDK was initially only available for Linux, then they made it available to Windows and Mac. Why weren't you raving and ranting about Sailfish then?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    They simply made the Ubuntu plugins for Linux. Now that they are confident that it works, they can port it to Mac and Windows.

    That is the very same method that Sailfish took. Their SDK was initially only available for Linux, then they made it available to Windows and Mac. Why weren't you raving and ranting about Sailfish then?
    No doubt we'll hear him rant on about how evil copyright assignment is and how Ubuntu and its users and developers will be going to hell for using them, even though several popular FOSS projects do exactly the same thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •