Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Intel Haswell Linux Performance Remains Mixed Against Windows

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,403

    Default Intel Haswell Linux Performance Remains Mixed Against Windows

    Phoronix: Intel Haswell Linux Performance Remains Mixed Against Windows

    Last month I published benchmarks showing Windows 8 beating Ubuntu Linux when it came to the Intel OpenGL performance for the latest generation Intel "Haswell" desktop processors. Since then there's been lots of commits to Mesa and continued improvements to the Linux kernel and for some tests the open-source Linux driver is in better standing. For the testing today is a comparison of Windows 8 Pro against the latest Ubuntu 13.10 development packages when using a System76 Gazelle Professional laptop with Core i7 4900MQ CPU.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19072

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tromsų, Norway @ 69°North
    Posts
    12

    Default

    This is great! Will these land in Ubuntu 13.10 before release?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    403

    Default

    I would call this slightly in favor of Linux. TBH... . Furthermore, this looks pretty impressive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Wow these are impressive results. Not only is the performance notably better than before but often passes Windows, or at the very least is on-par with it. I personally don't consider a 1-3 FPS difference noteworthy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    485

    Default

    This looks awesome! Some wins, some loses, basically a parity, except that modern GL is only supported in windows

    Now, it seems like Mesa is still at version 9.1 in Ubuntu 11.10 latest, while Git it already at 9.3, and is much faster. I wonder how much of the improvement comes from moving to 9.2, and how much is specific to 9.3. Also, I would assume Ubuntu will get 9.2 packages soon, so default performance will improve significantly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    This looks awesome! Some wins, some loses, basically a parity, except that modern GL is only supported in windows

    Now, it seems like Mesa is still at version 9.1 in Ubuntu 11.10 latest, while Git it already at 9.3, and is much faster. I wonder how much of the improvement comes from moving to 9.2, and how much is specific to 9.3. Also, I would assume Ubuntu will get 9.2 packages soon, so default performance will improve significantly.
    He already tested with Mesa Git, the improvement is right there on the graph.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Well, i wouldnt call this a big victory, because you cant call any victory to be 100 %, for that you must test every game, and if they all will run better on one os, then it will be called a winner. So there is no way linux will ever be faster than windows, because on windows there is 99999999999 opengl games that you cant test on linux, and testing these few old "games" and synthetic tests for ages is zero. Anyway, windows always will the winner, but for situation like this, when you can test only a few things out of millions, its like the fight on windows "geforce vs radeon", where is no real leader in the same category, some games run better on radeon, and some on geforce.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    He already tested with Mesa Git, the improvement is right there on the graph.
    The graph shows the improvement of Mesa Git vs Mesa 9.1.x. Mesa 9.2 has been already released, so I'm sure Ubuntu will get that soon in the repos. What I wonder is whether Mesa Git is any better than 9.2.x (9.2 got a bunch of Haswell optimizations, beyond that I don't know). Anyways, thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    Well, i wouldnt call this a big victory, because you cant call any victory to be 100 %, for that you must test every game, and if they all will run better on one os, then it will be called a winner. So there is no way linux will ever be faster than windows, because on windows there is 99999999999 opengl games that you cant test on linux, and testing these few old "games" and synthetic tests for ages is zero. Anyway, windows always will the winner, but for situation like this, when you can test only a few things out of millions, its like the fight on windows "geforce vs radeon", where is no real leader in the same category, some games run better on radeon, and some on geforce.
    What 99999999 openGL games? OpenGL on windows is basically relegated to Id Tech games (which there are no real new ones) and a few indie games here and there, almost everyone else is using DirectX on Windows.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default 9.3..

    while 9.2 is in good shape is not case of 9.3 some steam don t work

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •