Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digia Looking At Windows WinRT Support In Qt 5.2

Phoronix: Digia Looking At Windows RT Support In Qt 5.2

Qt 5.2 is expected to be released before the end of the year and Digia is hoping one of the features will be initial support for Microsoft Windows RT...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Thus making the linux port less important. Who would have known?
    Yes, I am sure supporting a mobile platform that nobody uses will cause them to drop all support for some of their most important customers.
    indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Thus making the linux port less important. Who would have known?
      Logical fallacies from Honton, I didn't see that coming

Comment

WinRT is not Windows RT

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          Perhaps it's sour grapes due to GTK+'s flakey cross platform support

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            The only question is how many times in this thread is he going to spew nonsense about how developers should work that runs completely counter to the design principles and patterns that the developer community have learned about and accepted over time.

Comment

I love seeing Qt on more platforms, but why Windows RT. Shouldn't they go in order of most popular mobile platforms? They have iOS and Android ports, as well as a Tizen port (although that's not all that popular). BB10, Ubuntu Touch, and Jolla use Qt natively. But what about the #3 player, Windows Phone. WIndows Phone has had some small success with roughly ~3% market share and it's the next developer target after iOS and android. It uses metro UI and ARM like WinRT. WinRT wasn't even a tiny bit successful. Although Windows Phone isn't exactly a huge success for MS, it wasn't as much of a flop as RT was. Nvidia, who's Tegra SoC was used in the Surface RT, even said it was a dissappointment. The Surface RT from MS ook a 900million loss and they are now selling at near break-even to get of stock!

Disclaimer: I don't like windows phone as a user, just from a developer point of view, logically you prioritize the platform with an actual user base, and who's owners don't look like they are about to give up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                I love seeing Qt on more platforms, but why Windows RT. Shouldn't they go in order of most popular mobile platforms? They have iOS and Android ports, as well as a Tizen port (although that's not all that popular). BB10, Ubuntu Touch, and Jolla use Qt natively. But what about the #3 player, Windows Phone. WIndows Phone has had some small success with roughly ~3% market share and it's the next developer target after iOS and android. It uses metro UI and ARM like WinRT. WinRT wasn't even a tiny bit successful. Although Windows Phone isn't exactly a huge success for MS, it wasn't as much of a flop as RT was. Nvidia, who's Tegra SoC was used in the Surface RT, even said it was a dissappointment. The Surface RT from MS ook a 900million loss and they are now selling at near break-even to get of stock!

Disclaimer: I don't like windows phone as a user, just from a developer point of view, logically you prioritize the platform with an actual user base, and who's owners don't look like they are about to give up on it.
                Eh... All indication is that Michael didn't really understand what WinRT meant. WinRT aka Windows Run Time is an API that is supported by both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8/RT, and provides ability to do Metro apps.

Comment

They are just covering their bases. Full Android and iOS support is what everybody is rooting for. I'm mostly interested in them improving the Android stuff until Ubuntu or somebody else actually implements a high end convergence solution. Too bad the Edge didn't make it.

Comment

Originally posted by red_team316 View Post
                    They are just covering their bases. Full Android and iOS support is what everybody is rooting for. I'm mostly interested in them improving the Android stuff until Ubuntu or somebody else actually implements a high end convergence solution. Too bad the Edge didn't make it.
                    Oh yeah that convergence solution that they claimed that they had but on their actual indiegogo page stated that the feature wouldn't be available at launch and would "come in a future update" even though they set the release date a year away. Whereas KDE's Plasma (I think this is actually Plasma2) is already set up to be able to do exactly that in real live code http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoC4l3eTriE . Now personally I don't really believe in the whole device convergence story and think that something like OwnCloud is a better solution but...

Comment

Working...
                    X