NVIDIA/AMD Still Reportedly Working On Mir Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post

Linux+upstart+Mir+usand boxed apps and an awesome Ubuntu sdk will start to kill off other distributions.With unity8 simplicity and consistency spread across multiple devices, the rest of the community is shitting themselves, after the realisation of Ubuntu being the impenetrable fortress it is
    fixed for you

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Apps bundled with its non-core deps.
      Ah, like that. Something like Canonical's proposed click apps. You'd only need a thin launcher layer on Wayland + compositor and have a sort of app bundle directory (/opt?) on where to drag the app bundles. Should work nicely.

I do think though that our current "fat" DE's will inject themselves between the unified lower levels and the app bundles on top. It would be nice too if package managers would evolve to a state where they can manage decentralized app locations. A package registers with the package manager and provides a URI where the pacakage manager can check for updates and then proceeds to install itself (copy to bundle directory and make the appropriate XDG items).

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
        Linux+upstart+Mir+usand boxed apps and an awesome Ubuntu sdk will start to kill off other distributions.With unity8 simplicity and consistency spread across multiple devices, the rest of the community is shitting themselves, after the realisation of Ubuntu being the impenetrable fortress it is.
        Keep dreaming. The technically adept will always opt for the systems that provide flexibility, powerful features and high customisability. Which is provided by traditional Linux distributions. The a-technical masses will in the future be spread between Windows, Mac OSX and Ubuntu. All three noob-friendly systems will cater to the lowest common denominator and all three will be built to bring in revenue, sometimes with business decissions against the user.

In short, the world will stay the same as it always was and Linux users will keep truckin' with their Linux distro's.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
          fixed for you
          Ubuntu depends on the work of the community and other companys like Jolla, Red Hat or SuSE. So this won't be the case no body supports their solo attempt.

Comment

The fact is Ubuntu has the best opportunities for AMD and Nvidia, since Canonical is taking their OS to phones, tablets, gaming rigs, workstations, to servers, and to the cloud. All those fields have cross over of code and routines for graphics. Ubuntu has the cherry on the cake.

Personally since I use Kubuntu/Ubuntu I want Mir supported, but I hope both Mir and Wayland get a go.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              The general theme of a workstations used to be a dedicated computer hooked to a mainframe. The term has changed to one of a dedicated task since mainframes are less deployed.

A graphics-workstations used in science/research or cad work, using for example a $3000 gfx card is not locked to any operating system.

Nvidia and AMD would find development easier if they took the Mir path as the gaming card drivers/routines would overlay similar gfx abilities required for the high end cards. Ubuntu is the king of Linux gaming.
              Ubuntu is so big and so powerful they can't even get Blizzard to develop games for them and even the EA games was a Epic Fail
              also the Systems (workstations) that have the high end GPU want real support and software development not the shitty copy paste job's of Crapnical so you can count Crapnical out in this market

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                The fact is Ubuntu has the best opportunities for AMD and Nvidia, since Canonical is taking their OS to phones, tablets, gaming rigs, workstations, to servers, and to the cloud. All those fields have cross over of code and routines for graphics. Ubuntu has the cherry on the cake.

Personally since I use Kubuntu/Ubuntu I want Mir supported, but I hope both Mir and Wayland get a go.
                Kubuntu is going full Wayland so nope also cloud is a buzzword
                98% of gaming rigs run Windows XP and up

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  Ubuntu is so big and so powerful they can't even get Blizzard to develop games for them and even the EA games was a Epic Fail also the Systems (workstations) that have the high end GPU want real support and software development not the shitty copy paste job's of Crapnical so you can count Crapnical out in this market
                  Blizzard are on the nose, and your bias against Canonical is showing.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    Kubuntu is going full Wayland so nope also cloud is a buzzword
                    98% of gaming rigs run Windows XP and up
                    You've got no foresight. Apple II used to dominate gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      Yeah, I can see how that works:
                      - Canonical announces Mir, Canonical to Nvidia: Hey, will you support us?
                      - Nvidia: No!
                      - Canonical to their users: We are talking with them !
                      - Few weeks later, developers to Canonical: Hey, what about the blobs?
                      - Canonical to Nvidia: Hey, will you support us?
                      - Nvidia: No!
                      - Canonical to developers: We are still engaged, but we can't say anything about it!

Really? Care to share your links with announced tablets and phones using Ubuntu?
                      You actually don't have a clue at all what the Quadro/FireGL cards are used for, or am I wrong? Why the hell would graphical workstations use a text only display? Why the hell would you need expensive workstation cards for text only display?
                      Only that most graphical workstations run RHEL or SLED. Not many that run Ubuntu.

We all know how reliable announcements from Canonical are, so before Nvidia or AMD confirm that they will support Mir this whole discussion is mood.
                      This++; All "We're still engaged with _____" really is is the standard marketing speak for "we're still talking to these companies and we don't really have anything yet".

Comment

Working...
                      X