NVIDIA/AMD Still Reportedly Working On Mir Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    I thibk basicly the drivers for Mir and Wayland compositors are the same but in detail they (with they I mean NVIDIA) will support only one.But they will gain more money supporting workstations that running a Wayland compositor.
    Where's the money in workstations, like wouldn't they be simple drivers for text display.

The money is in Tablet SoCs, Desktop gaming cards, GFX cards used for processing like Bitcoin mining, and maybe the coming cloud gfx processing market. All areas suitable for Ubuntu.

Last edited by e8hffff; 28 August 2013, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
      I thibk basicly the drivers for Mir and Wayland compositors are the same but in detail they (with they I mean NVIDIA) will support only one. But they will gain more money supporting workstations that running a Wayland compositor.
      If you mean the exclusive graphics workstation market then that too is suitable for Ubuntu.

Comment

We already know that Nvidia at least is working on an EGL driver for Linux, so although I agree this isn't explicit confirmation that they are working on a Mir driver, I find it hard to believe they won't support both Mir and Wayland since it would be practically no additional work for them beyond what they are already doing for their own reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          Where's the money in workstations, like wouldn't they be simple drivers for text display.

The money is in Tablet SoCs, Desktop gaming cards, GFX cards used for processing like Bitcoin mining, and maybe the coming cloud gfx processing market. All areas suitable for Ubuntu.

Suitable but everything that is used for this is developed outside and doesn't supports Mir offical.

Comment

If you mean the exclusive graphics workstation market then that too is suitable for Ubuntu.
            True, but RHEL is there too and not going anywhere, anytime soon, so Wayland support is almost assured.

Comment

Canonical is still engaged with the graphics hardware vendors about supporting Mir
              Yeah, I can see how that works:
              - Canonical announces Mir, Canonical to Nvidia: Hey, will you support us?
              - Nvidia: No!
              - Canonical to their users: We are talking with them !
              - Few weeks later, developers to Canonical: Hey, what about the blobs?
              - Canonical to Nvidia: Hey, will you support us?
              - Nvidia: No!
              - Canonical to developers: We are still engaged, but we can't say anything about it!

Cool. It is the way to go since Mir will be happening on the streets soon on many devices. Phones, tablets and desktops.
              Really? Care to share your links with announced tablets and phones using Ubuntu?
              You actually don't have a clue at all what the Quadro/FireGL cards are used for, or am I wrong? Why the hell would graphical workstations use a text only display? Why the hell would you need expensive workstation cards for text only display?
              Only that most graphical workstations run RHEL or SLED. Not many that run Ubuntu.

We all know how reliable announcements from Canonical are, so before Nvidia or AMD confirm that they will support Mir this whole discussion is mood.

Comment

And the ironie ist that Ubuntu releas on Red Hat and SuSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  You actually don't have a clue at all what the Quadro/FireGL cards are used for, or am I wrong? Why the hell would graphical workstations use a text only display?
                  The general theme of a workstations used to be a dedicated computer hooked to a mainframe. The term has changed to one of a dedicated task since mainframes are less deployed.

A graphics-workstations used in science/research or cad work, using for example a $3000 gfx card is not locked to any operating system.

Nvidia and AMD would find development easier if they took the Mir path as the gaming card drivers/routines would overlay similar gfx abilities required for the high end cards. Ubuntu is the king of Linux gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                    Linux+Systemd+Wayland+sandboxed bundles might kill of the age of distrobutions.
                    Can you elaborate more on the sandboxed bundles? What should I be thinking of here? Specialty appliances or silo-ed desktop environments? Or something else completely?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      ......If they can share drivers that would be ideal........ unless Mir and Wayland would coordinate the efforts it can result in even further driver fragmentation.
                      I'm sure if Mir developers submitted a patch that would allow sharing of the same driver unmodified, then it would sit uncommented on over at Wayland's developed page. The Phoronix would post about it 2 weeks after its been submitted and say how nothings happening with the patch. Then Linuxgamer and Dee would write derogatory post in the forums using some of the worst grammar man kind has ever seen. The someone would call me a fanboy, but not spelt as well, with some i's and z's I'm sure.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Comment

Working...
                      X