Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA/AMD Still Reportedly Working On Mir Drivers

Phoronix: NVIDIA/AMD Still Reportedly Working On Mir Drivers

During the first day of the latest virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit, there were some brief remarks made concerning the state of the NVIDIA and AMD Catalyst binary drivers in supporting the Mir Display Server for Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

(Plus there's other issues in Phoronix's benchmarking Valve/Steam games.)
    Fixed that for you, Michael.

Long story short, Canonical is still engaged with the graphics hardware vendors about supporting Mir, but they won't reveal their "partners" road-maps/schedules and information.
    So basically there was no news at all and we're at the same exact point we were when Mir was first announced.

Comment

Shared EGL binary drivers?

Will Wayland and Mir share the binary drivers as they are EGL platforms or will they require similar but seperate binaries? If they use the same drivers then this seems to be a win for everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
        Will Wayland and Mir share the binary drivers as they are EGL platforms or will they require similar but seperate binaries? If they use the same drivers then this seems to be a win for everyone!
        yeah, wayland and mir have exactly the same requirements, when the driver gets released it will support both.

Comment

Cool. It is the way to go since Mir will be happening on the streets soon on many devices. Phones, tablets and desktops.

What Canonical or fans should do is start to promote unique LAN gaming conventions to bolster Linux gaming. Create a 'party' type pack and swags for those that hold them to hand out to attendees.

Comment

I'd wait for them to support Wayland. If they can share drivers that would be ideal, but EGL drivers aren't known to be generic and are usually tied to the display server, unless Mir and Wayland would coordinate the efforts it can result in even further sick drivers fragmentation.
            Last edited by shmerl; 28 August 2013, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              yeah, wayland and mir have exactly the same requirements, when the driver gets released it will support both.
              Thanks, for the answer. I'm glad to see that there will be binary drivers after X.org since I heard that NVIDIA had no interest in supporting Wayland quite some time ago.

Comment

EGL is a simple API with a very specific specification. There should be no problem sharing an EGL driver between Wayland and Mir.

Comment

I thibk basicly the drivers for Mir and Wayland compositors are the same but in detail they (with they I mean NVIDIA) will support only one.
                  But they will gain more money supporting workstations that running a Wayland compositor.

Comment

I interpret a bit of a difference between being "engaged" with the vendors and the vendors actually "working on" development.

Either way I see myself sticking with X.org for the next 5+ years or however long it takes for the transition to be complete.

Comment

Working...
                    X