Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R300/R400 Radeon Gallium3D Finally Gets MSAA

Phoronix: AMD R300/R400 Radeon Gallium3D Finally Gets MSAA

The AMD Radeon "R300" Gallium3D driver has finally enabled MSAA anti-aliasing support for the very old ATI R300 and R400 class graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey.. I am that one user..

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
      Hey.. I am that one user..
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxQS5LJi9w

Comment

Someone should update this: http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ (it's no longer editable).

Comment

What's the point working at AMD if they cannot provide at least a few cards for testing?
          And don't tell me that those cards are too old...
          Also shouldn't they have a few testers at least?

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
            What's the point working at AMD if they cannot provide at least a few cards for testing?
            And don't tell me that those cards are too old...
            Also shouldn't they have a few testers at least?
            Just guessing that it's because most of these guys work *FOR* AMD, not at AMD's actual offices and AMD, like every company prioritizes new or recent hardware.

Comment

Also their warehouse isn't likely endless. Just a few years ago they couldn't even find Rage128 docs anymore, that doesn't bode well for finding actual cards.

Comment

Not having actual cards is one thing - though actually I personally have a bunch of various cards (GPU, controllers, NIC, ...) ranging from old ISA, VLB, PCI, AGP to modern PCI. Most of them bought used on ebay when they were cheap. And they don't use that much space.
                But having lost the specs sounds ridiculous.
                Anyway happy to see some old boards receiving love.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Not having actual cards is one thing - though actually I personally have a bunch of various cards (GPU, controllers, NIC, ...) ranging from old ISA, VLB, PCI, AGP to modern PCI. Most of them bought used on ebay when they were cheap. And they don't use that much space.
                  But having lost the specs sounds ridiculous.
                  Anyway happy to see some old boards receiving love.
                  It's not that the specs are lost, it's generally that they've been moved off to tape or some other high latency storage medium that which makes them much harder to access. Couple that with the fact that most people internally are working on unreleased hardware or the current generation of hardware and it's not real easy to ask someone if they remember how some feature worked or where the docs are for an 8 year old (10 years old internally) chip. As for cards, I'm sure they are probably a few old cards around in various labs, but as I said before, most people aren't working on old stuff. Most of the open source developers work remotely so we can't just swing by the lab and dig around for some old card and you can't buy them new.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    ... tape or some other high latency storage medium...
                    Thanks, you just made my evening.

> most people aren't working on old stuff.

I guess so and that's also understandable, esp. with limited manpower. But maybe this is something also for freelancers to try to get into development to work on some older chips.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X