Fedora 21 Will Try To Abandon Non-KMS GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Yes all of those SHOULD be GB not Gb, but I cant edit at this point sooooooooooo... yeah lol
    Are you sure they shouldn't actually be GiB? Because memory is typically counted in GiB. Storage was counted in GiB when it was still small, nowadays it's usually counted in GB (I have my KDE set up to show me file sizes in GB, because that's easier to understand for users of the decimal system). Of course, Microsoft is not helping with the issue by incorrectly labelling GiB as GB etc. But at least Apple is also doing the right thing in that regard (and they also use GB for files).

Comment

Storage, as far as I know, is counted as GiB, but is incorrectly marketed as GB. RAM is counted as GB and has always been correct. I have 4GB in my current computer and it is reported as 4GB.

EDIT: MS usage of Gb isnt correct in either case, they count Kb as 1024 bits, but 1 Mb as 1000 Kb of 1024 bits
      Last edited by duby229; 29 August 2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Indeed disks are sold in GB's to make them look bigger, but Windows counts GiB's even though it displays GB.

I just built a computer with a 500GB Seagate harddisk and the number of bytes as displayed in BIOS was roughly 500 billion bytes, and not 536 billion (≈ 500 GiB).

But what do all these bytes have to do with Fedora and its graphics drivers?

I'm in favour of dropping these drivers. tdfx is already so broken that the CRT monitor on which I tested a 3dfx can't display anything but "out of range" (the card doesn't POST with my 1680x1050 flatpanel monitor connected).
        Anyway, that was an ancient card which I sold to a "retro hardware" enthusiast for €5. I don't care about it, personally. Console worked so it's definitely X's fault.
        Last edited by AlbertP; 29 August 2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Actually I just realized that I got my definitions backwords... Sorry about that...

Just a correction...

kiB = 1024 bytes
          kB = 1000 bytes.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            just something that has been annoying me, it's not really a big deal though...

Gb = gigabit
            GB = gigabyte
            Gib = Gibibit
            GiB = Gibibyte

1 gigabyte = 8 gigabits
            1 gibibyte = 8 gibibits

I pretty sure that most of these references to Gb and Gib are actually intended to be GB. A half Gb is only 64MB. 1Gb is 128MB, 2Gb is 256MB.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=1%2F...ient=firefox-a
            I refuse to go by hard drive manufacturer scales! My "3Tb" drives are 2.75Tb, as 8-bit bytes intended!

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              I refuse to go by hard drive manufacturer scales! My "3Tb" drives are 2.75Tb, as 8-bit bytes intended!
              First: It's not about the size of a byte (I don't know of other definitions than 8bit = 1 byte), it's about what "kilo" means. Traditionally "kilo" (prefix 'k' or 'K'), derived from the Greek word χίλιοι (chilioi), meaning "thousand" (see Wikipedia), is used to describe 1000 * 'base unit'. In computer science "kilo" (prefix 'k' or 'K') is historically used to describe 1024 * 'base unit'.
              To solve this ambiguity the IEC proposed the "binary prefixes" (Ki for binary kilo -> 1024 * base).

Also: It's not only the drive manufacturer labeling it in misleading way. The file system takes some bytes too (e.g. reserved root space in ext fs, fs meta data, ...).

Comment

Working...
              X