Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Will Try To Abandon Non-KMS GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Will Try To Abandon Non-KMS GPU Drivers

There's hope that Fedora 21 will do away with non-KMS graphics drivers by default. A whole set of conventional (UMS) X.Org drivers are set to be retired in this first Fedora Linux release of 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't say I like this - I was using r128 cards until earlier this year, so it seems likely that there are still users of them. i810 and Geode also seem a bit odd to me as hardware to abandon support for.

Neither the article or the linked mailpost seem to give any particular rationale for it. Is there some maintenance or performance advantage to having only KMS drivers beyond that of abandoning individual ones?

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
      Can't say I like this - I was using r128 cards until earlier this year, so it seems likely that there are still users of them. i810 and Geode also seem a bit odd to me as hardware to abandon support for.

Neither the article or the linked mailpost seem to give any particular rationale for it. Is there some maintenance or performance advantage to having only KMS drivers beyond that of abandoning individual ones?
      There's not really any "maintenance" going in the Fedora camp. Ajax said that he basically only sees if it builds, and if it does, ship it. He also said that if anyone ELSE wants to maintain it, they are more than welcome to. But HE is done maintaining non-KMS drivers.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        There's not really any "maintenance" going in the Fedora camp. Ajax said that he basically only sees if it builds, and if it does, ship it. He also said that if anyone ELSE wants to maintain it, they are more than welcome to. But HE is done maintaining non-KMS drivers.
        why UMS for vesa? can they run off KMS too. im saying this because Wayland needs KMS.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          why UMS for vesa? can they run off KMS too. im saying this because Wayland needs KMS.
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI4NTU is what I think you're looking for, Garegin
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            I don't think ajax is saying "kms is better, ums must die". Lack of maintainer is the actual problem -- there just happens to be a pretty good correlation between "not supporting kms" and "not having a maintainer" because the drivers with maintainers have mostly migrated to kms at this point.

IIRC Adam already confirmed that ums drivers with maintainers could stay in.
            Last edited by bridgman; 27 August 2013, 07:01 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

The problem with these drivers is often that they stop building when major changes are made to the X server. Sometimes they remain broken for quite some time until a fix is applied, and even longer until a new release with the fix is made. It is quite understandable that there is a lack of time or motivation to hunt down patches or package git snapshots.

Who would suffer most from dropping the UMS drivers are laptop users with these chipsets, because the VESA driver may not be able to drive the laptop display at native resolution or support configuration of an external VGA output.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                The problem with these drivers is often that they stop building when major changes are made to the X server. Sometimes they remain broken for quite some time until a fix is applied, and even longer until a new release with the fix is made. It is quite understandable that there is a lack of time or motivation to hunt down patches or package git snapshots.
                So it's less a case of abandoning these drivers, and more an acknowledgement that they were abandoned years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  So it's less a case of abandoning these drivers, and more an acknowledgement that they were abandoned years ago?
                  Yep. While it sucks, there is also nobody stepping up and porting these drivers to KMS either. The plan has basically been let the pre-OpenGL2 class hardware support die off since it's so old.

But there will always be distros that cater to the ancient hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Fedora 21 Will Try To Abandon Non-KMS GPU Drivers

There's hope that Fedora 21 will do away with non-KMS graphics drivers by default. A whole set of conventional (UMS) X.Org drivers are set to be retired in this first Fedora Linux release of 2014...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0Njc
                    In few words , Fedora is trying to be buggy as possible

Comment

Working...
                    X