Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R200 Documentation Coming Too

Phoronix: ATI R200 Documentation Coming Too

In the Phoronix Forums following Friday's release of the (NDA-free) ATI R300 3D register information, AMD's John Bridgman has confirmed that he is looking to release documentation going back to the ATI Radeon 8500 era graphics processors. Years ago ATI had released this R200 documentation to the open-source driver developers at the time, but it was encumbered by legal restrictions. John doesn't believe these R200 documents will be of any use to the xf86-video-ati developers for improving the Radeon 8500 to 9250 open-source support, but that it will help assist new open-source developers in beginning to understand graphics programming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I have to say, it appears that they're really pulling out all the stops here when it comes to the OSS effort.

Comment

Any hope for r128 docs?

Wonderful!!!

Is there any hope of having r128 documentation released? Phoronix Forum member Svartalf mentioned that he has an NDA-ed version of RagePRO docs. Perhaps they can also be released?

Comment

It will be great if they will release specifications for PowerPlay, as today support for PowerPlay on my mobility radeon with FOSS drivers is very limited.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
          Wonderful!!!

Is there any hope of having r128 documentation released? Phoronix Forum member Svartalf mentioned that he has an NDA-ed version of RagePRO docs. Perhaps they can also be released?
          I too would like to see the r128 docs released. I found copies of NDA'd version a long time ago. If I can find them, I would have to imagine that ATI could find them in their archives.

bridgman, if it helps locate the documents in ATI's archives, their filenames are:

R128REGRE.pdf - Rage 128 Register Reference Guide
          RR45101C.pdf - Rage 128 Pro Register Reference Guide
          rr47003oemp.pdf - Rage Mobility M3 Register Reference Guide (OEM)

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
            I too would like to see the r128 docs released. I found copies of NDA'd version a long time ago. If I can find them, I would have to imagine that ATI could find them in their archives.

bridgman, if it helps locate the documents in ATI's archives, their filenames are:

R128REGRE.pdf - Rage 128 Register Reference Guide
            RR45101C.pdf - Rage 128 Pro Register Reference Guide
            rr47003oemp.pdf - Rage Mobility M3 Register Reference Guide (OEM)
            We have the PDFs, it's a matter of whether or not we can find the original *editable* versions so we can remove all the confidential language

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              We have the PDFs, it's a matter of whether or not we can find the original *editable* versions so we can remove all the confidential language
              Heh...which is why I haven't breached my agreement with ATI over those files...

In all honesty, I don't think there's anything TOO problematic at this point in time in those files- but if you can't find the editables, you might want to see if legal will sign off on what was sanitized to the point of the original NDA'd FOSS releases to the Utah-GLX team.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Heh...which is why I haven't breached my agreement with ATI over those files...

In all honesty, I don't think there's anything TOO problematic at this point in time in those files- but if you can't find the editables, you might want to see if legal will sign off on what was sanitized to the point of the original NDA'd FOSS releases to the Utah-GLX team.
                It's not the content, but the confidential notices that are written all over the documents. Unfortunately, we can't release the documents with that language all over them.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  It's not the content, but the confidential notices that are written all over the documents. Unfortunately, we can't release the documents with that language all over them.
                  It may be possible to directly manipulate the content of the PDF. See CAM::PDF perl module for instance http://search.cpan.org/~cdolan/CAM-PDF-1.12/

HTH

Comment

r128

Me three. I might be wrong, but i remember there was 2d docs for the r128 without NDA's.

I know you guys are interested in pulling in new developers. Wouldn't the best way to do so be to release all docs for all graphics chips you've ever made? Let new developers start from the beginning?

This is not a request, it's just my dream come true. Docs from the mach32 all the way to r600 and beyond. Mach32 being important because programming it was talked about in Richard F Ferraro's book.

Comment

Working...
                    X