GNOME Playing Around With New Middle-Click Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    I never use the middle button for pasting... and I don't use Gnome 3. Why would I care about this topic? Well, I don't. Bye!
    I must admit I have always been sheerly impressed by people who read a news about a thing they don't care, and then have the courage to rant in the forums.

I mean, when a news doesn't interest me, I generally don't even take the time to finish reading it, let alone going through the hassle of logging in, and typing a message only to say that I didn't found it to be interesting / relevant... Amazing.

Comment

IMHO the most important question would be: How will applications behave, that rely on middle-click-paste? E.g. urxvt. If simply highlighting text won't copy it to the clipboard you won't be able to paste text in urxvt. People (like me) who think gnome-terminal (and vte in general) is slow and buggy won't be able to use alternative terminals.

Comment

Before everyone goes ballistic I think you should take note of the text of the commit that reverted the change
        We're not really ready for this change, and we haven't
        messaged it properly. After discussion with Allan Day and
        Jakup Steiner, we'll defer this change until the next cycle.
        So I suggest everyone drops a few DEFCON levels and wait until we know what the idea is. Because right now there is basically no information at all.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          The Fail Boat is why we have the MATE Desktop
          There is no real reason to use MATE, it's more of a legacy thing, because it uses obsolete technologies and is slower than Xfce.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            There is no real reason to use MATE, it's more of a legacy thing, because it uses obsolete technologies and is slower than Xfce.
            MATE is a more featurefull desktop than XFCE. XFCE was always the lightweight alternative to GNOME.

Last I heard was that XFCE are sticking with the obsolete GTK2, where as MATE are migrating to GTK3. MATE have already removed most of the old deprecated GNOME libraries.

Comment

Dear Gnome, and the retarded designers who hate users, fuck you. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                I must admit I have always been sheerly impressed by people who read a news about a thing they don't care, and then have the courage to rant in the forums.
                That's just the phoronix forum team of "expert" analysts. They always give their objective, unbiased commentary on everything just for our benefit! Through their efforts to extinguish the flames of ignorance, I've learned to hate Gnome, Mono, AMD graphics, Ubuntu, Mir, Nvidia, emacs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  Gnome 3 is not "less customizable" than gnome 2. It does have less built in preferences, but it is designed in a way that actually makes it far more customizable than gnome 2 due to its support for extensions. People tend to greatly exaggerate gnome 3's "lack of customization".

The most important "missing options" are available in gnome-tweak-tool (such as font settings). I agree font settings should be available somewhere in the normal preferences, but its silly how some people totally disregard the tweak tool because its not the "regular preferences" or such similar silly arguments.
                  Those lack of customization ones are extremely good arguments. If it's not configurable by default, it's not configurable by the majority.

Gnome Tweak Tool, a GUI for their registry, is barely better than Regedit for Windows. Requiring a third-party tool to provide options that should've been configurable in the main package is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Gnome Tweak Tool, a GUI for their registry, is barely better than Regedit for Windows. Requiring a third-party tool to provide options that should've been configurable in the main package is terrible.
                    If you think gnome-tweak-tool and regedit have something in common, then I am assuming that you have never used it. It is basically an "advanced options" app. It is also not a third-party tool.
                    Feel free to argue that some options belong in the "basic" options (lacking a better word), because I think there are a few cases as well, but you could perhaps at least try to avoid being totally misleading?

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                      If you think gnome-tweak-tool and regedit have something in common, then I am assuming that you have never used it. It is basically an "advanced options" app. It is also not a third-party tool.
                      Feel free to argue that some options belong in the "basic" options (lacking a better word), because I think there are a few cases as well, but you could perhaps at least try to avoid being totally misleading?
                      If you take a look at what gnome-tweak-tool does, it changes Gnome's registry. This makes it in function similar to regedit.

I know it's not dconf-editor but looks more like a settings panel. That doesn't change the fact its choices change Gnome registry.

Comment

Working...
                      X