Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Manjaro 0.8.7 Has New Pacman Front-End

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,655

    Default Manjaro 0.8.7 Has New Pacman Front-End

    Phoronix: Manjaro 0.8.7 Has New Pacman Front-End

    Manjaro 0.8.7 was released this morning, the latest update for the very nice and easy to use Linux distribution derived from Arch Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0NTY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    188

    Default

    I had no problems with manjaro running it in VB, so perhaps this is the version i will finally test on bare metal.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Typo, the XFCE manager uses Pamac 0.7.5.2 as it's frontend. Pacman is up to 4.1.2, it would be bad if they used 0.7.5.2 of that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    I might have to take a look at octopi when I get home. I personally use pacmanXG4, which is a pretty great program, but I'm willing to see if there are better alternatives.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Kernel choice and package managers

    Manjaro not only offers the shipped 3.4.59 kernel, we also have these kernels in choose from: 3.8.13.7, 3.9.11, 3.10.9 and 3.11-rc6. It was planned to ship Manjaro 0.8.7 with linux 3.10 series. Due issues and bug-reports we had to choose the stable 3.4 kernel. All other kernels can simply be installed with mhwd-kernel, our tool to manage multible kernels at the same time. Simply call
    Code:
    sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux310
    to get the latest kernels by upstream.

    Octopi is a great software to manage our binary packages and PKGBUILDs you can get from AUR. Arnt did a great job on this one. Since the Manjaro community helped him a lot, he joined the team to get his software and other tools for Manjaro even better done. Pamac is still there. We gave it a new optical design and some new features. Now it is possible to manage our kernels also with pamac. Simply choose the kernel you want to install and pamac will additionally add missing extramodules if installed by a previous kernels. This way you won't hang on a reboot to start up Manjaro due missing for example the propritary Nvidia driver.

    And if you don't like the default spins you can use ManjaroISO and spin Manjaro to your liking by yourself. Just use the provided profiles, some you might find in our git-repos, and customize them. With sudo buildiso in the profile folder you will get a new iso-image you can use to install Manjaro. Just take a look at our wiki and forum to get more information about it. We even provide video tutorials.

    I hope you will enjoy this great release

    Phil

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philm View Post
    Manjaro not only offers the shipped 3.4.59 kernel, we also have these kernels in choose from: 3.8.13.7, 3.9.11, 3.10.9 and 3.11-rc6. It was planned to ship Manjaro 0.8.7 with linux 3.10 series. Due issues and bug-reports we had to choose the stable 3.4 kernel. All other kernels can simply be installed with mhwd-kernel, our tool to manage multible kernels at the same time. Simply call
    Code:
    sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux310
    to get the latest kernels by upstream.

    Octopi is a great software to manage our binary packages and PKGBUILDs you can get from AUR. Arnt did a great job on this one. Since the Manjaro community helped him a lot, he joined the team to get his software and other tools for Manjaro even better done. Pamac is still there. We gave it a new optical design and some new features. Now it is possible to manage our kernels also with pamac. Simply choose the kernel you want to install and pamac will additionally add missing extramodules if installed by a previous kernels. This way you won't hang on a reboot to start up Manjaro due missing for example the propritary Nvidia driver.

    And if you don't like the default spins you can use ManjaroISO and spin Manjaro to your liking by yourself. Just use the provided profiles, some you might find in our git-repos, and customize them. With sudo buildiso in the profile folder you will get a new iso-image you can use to install Manjaro. Just take a look at our wiki and forum to get more information about it. We even provide video tutorials.

    I hope you will enjoy this great release

    Phil
    Well, Octopi seems a great GUI, but it's using yaourt. I find packer a lot more useful in many ways and less buggy, but of course it needs lots of things to improve. I'm not interested in GUIs too, it's not my style.

    Archlinux is having a managing problem these days, because there's too many AUR and pacman helpers. Yet they are incomplemete in one form or other. Pacman needs to support AUR packages and evolve.

    I liked Clyde, but the project abandoned it. The reason was about too much undocumented API changes.

    I tried Owl+Cower, but it's a bit problematic as well. It looks promising.

    I want the advantages of stuff like Powerpill, Bauerpill (delta downloads, check fastest mirrors, segmented downloads from a big bunch of them to get max speed, install and compile stuff while downloading to not waste time...) and a fast searching in a single command line app. It would be nice to be able to autocheck updates, compile latest AUR pacakges and have them reasy to be installed by the user

    Seriously, is it impossible to have a Linux distribution with the best of binary package manament and source code package management into one plus a nice community with a big wiki?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
    Seriously, is it impossible to have a Linux distribution with the best of binary package manament and source code package management into one plus a nice community with a big wiki?
    AUR is annoying for a reason, because it's dangerous. When you install something from AUR, you are supposed to review PKGBUILDs and *.install for malicious code, check if download adresses are right, etc. Basically, you are supposed to know what you are doing and to be fully aware of what is being done. Having a frontend that installs stuff from AUR automatically is an enormous potential security hole, that's why Arch devs do not support any of them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaszak View Post
    AUR is annoying for a reason, because it's dangerous. When you install something from AUR, you are supposed to review PKGBUILDs and *.install for malicious code, check if download adresses are right, etc. Basically, you are supposed to know what you are doing and to be fully aware of what is being done. Having a frontend that installs stuff from AUR automatically is an enormous potential security hole, that's why Arch devs do not support any of them.

    I usually install uncommon software for different reasons (hardware devices, bleeding edge syndrome, weird software I like to use...), and the AUR flexibility helps me to install it. But sometimes this flexibility adds some maintenance problems, because AUR package managers don't check about missing libraries when rebuilding or reinstalling things (for example) and other issues I usually have.

    I liked Gentoo and other source-based distributions with a great source code package manager on top of it, and they were quite customizable. But sometimes you need something in a faster way to get installed, and using source code only can make things a bit slow to deploy (an embedded system, a server, an old computer...).

    I agree about security holes, but that's why AUR is maintained by regular users and at the same time it gives advantages because of community effort. That's different with source based distros, because they have the official ones and the unofficial ones.

    Archlinux has a great community of geeks that are even nice with newbies that like to learn, but I miss things from other distros too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Iíve been trying Manjaro OpenBox on my netbook for the past week and it is not user friendly or ready yet. Donít know about this new release, havenít seen this new package manager thing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I like it, the openbox spin is quite impressive

    question-> boot parameter to ignore my HD

    nohd

    noauto

    idex=noprobe


    tried them all, none worked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •