Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love adventures

Originally posted by wargames View Post
    Please, don't complain if you buy anything from the rotted apple and it doesn't work the way you want. They don't want you to install anything on THEIR computer. It's that simple. You may even be doing something unlawful
    I buy their Desktop computers, because they're very reliable, to install Gentoo on them.
    It's an adventure to get it running, though.

But: Gentoo-users love adventures .

Comment

Kernel

What about Linux kernel 3.10 and 3.11?
      Does Macbook Air 2013 work on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bernard Swiss View Post
        How are the newer Thinkpads running under Linux, these days?
        (say, one of the 4xx series -- I lucked into a pristine used T410 (with the good screen) for an terrific price, and I'm loving it. I might have gone looking for a newer one (for better battery life) but there was the whole hybrid-graphics mess, and I decided to wait).
        I use openSUSE 12.3 on my Thinkpad X230 and it runs great. I've also previously tried Linux Mint 14 on it and it ran well apart from a bug in kernel 3.5 that extended the shutdown time due some problem with the Intel WiFi driver, however upgrading to a newer kernel fixed it.

Comment

From the kernel bug it sounds like it is some issue with the Mac's Compatibility Support Mode. If you want to learn more look at Rod Smiths website at http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/. I have also set up the beginings of a wiki surrounding multibooting Mac's using the EFI at http://multiboot.info. Any additional info that can be added to the wiki would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            What about Linux kernel 3.10 and 3.11?
            Does Macbook Air 2013 work on them?
            As I said I'm running Archlinux and it runs well with Kernel 3.11.0-rc5 but I've also been running 3.10 in the past.

Contrary to my experience Michael said in his Linux Is Still A Lemon On The 2013 MacBook Air article that the Macbook Air ist not running with kernel 3.10 or 3.11.

Note: I own the 13 inch model, while Michael is using the 11 inch model. (same processor)

Note2: I'm not the only one sucessfully running Linux on the Macbook Air (See here)

Comment

Originally posted by justin2net View Post
              I hope all the compatibility issues are sorted out soon and the battery life is not significantly reduced under Linux.

With the previous Macbook Airs, has the battery life taken a hit when running Linux?

For my Linux dev laptop, I am trying to decide between:
              • Haswell 2013 Macbook Air (Excellent battery life under OS X, good chassis, low-res screen, many Linux compatibility issues)
              • Dell XPS 13 (non-Haswell but 1080 screen, good Linux support, cheaper than alternatives at $900 for a new one off eBay)
              • Chromebook Pixel (Excellent screen but $$$, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, non-upgradeable) (probably unlikely)

Any thoughts and recommendations?
              Yeah, wait. Look for the haswell versions of Asus Zenbook Infinity, sony vaio pro 13, samsung ativ book 9 plus, or Acer aspire s7.
              Haswell has brought out tons of great laptops. The problem, for me, is trying to find out which have the best battery life b/c almost no reviewer sets the screen to the same number of candelas, so you get widely varying battery times from reviews.

Comment

This whole issue sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Yeah, wait. Look for the haswell versions of Asus Zenbook Infinity, sony vaio pro 13, samsung ativ book 9 plus, or Acer aspire s7.
                  Haswell has brought out tons of great laptops. The problem, for me, is trying to find out which have the best battery life b/c almost no reviewer sets the screen to the same number of candelas, so you get widely varying battery times from reviews.
                  Pretty sure Lenovo will have an ultra-portable (if not ultrabook) Haswell Thinkpad out soon too, if you don't mind waiting a few days. The system76/clevo options look interesting in terms of performance per package size but I'm not convinced about quality or battery life and I don't think they're offering anything smaller than 14".

Comment

Well, I bought a new XPS 13 i7 128gb SSD 8gb RAM 1080p for $850 USD. Couldn't wait any longer. I think I scored a good deal.

I still hope to see the compatibility issues of the new MBAs worked out and the battery life under Linux tested...

Comment

This is pretty interesting, I've been trying to get Linux up and running on my MacBook Air 6,1 as well. I haven't gotten it to work yet though, but I did document my process pretty throughly here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12786229

I'm glad there are some people with a lot more experience than me working on this. However I'm available to try any suggestions you might have!

Eventually would want to get a penetration testing distro like Kali up and running on the MacBook Air 6,1

Comment

Working...
                      X