Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Run Down Of VT Switching On Linux

Phoronix: A Run Down Of VT Switching On Linux

David Herrmann, the student developer working on DRM Render Nodes this summer and has been a longtime proponent of killing the Linux kernel console, has written at length about VT (virtual terminal) switching on Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They are papering over kernel problems in userspace, making a new (dbus-using, no less, eww) daemon necessary (logind).

Revoke() belongs in kernel, an extra daemon is just pure unnecessary overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      They are papering over kernel problems in userspace, making a new (dbus-using, no less, eww) daemon necessary (logind).

Revoke() belongs in kernel, an extra daemon is just pure unnecessary overhead.
      A pure revoke() system-call doesn't help. In fact, the revoke() syscall would be papering over kernel problems. If you have better ideas than the one proposed, please let us know. But nobody so far could come up with one. Besides, I like the logind idea, so why exactly do you not like it?

Comment

While keeping in mind that these concepts we've been using for years really are ridiculously old, I'm particularly excited about moving VT switching to userspace. In doing so, you have to accept a few compromises. Notably, you have to use your wholly reviled systemd-logind system. (Why do people continue to hate on systemd? I've been using it preferentially since 198, and I actually dig it)

Now, unless someone wants to get off their fucking ass and make a more-suitable solution in the kernel, I think people who want to cry and shit themselves over the use of dbus and systemd-logind should take the initiative to create a more complete and compliant system. Pretty please. Our community should use all the competition it can get to make the best tools for Linux, because that's what makes Linux so damn awesome.

I love the idea, dvdhrm. Run with it.

Comment

an item-by-item report or review : summary; a play in baseball in which a base runner who is caught off base is chased by two or more opposing players who throw the ball from one to another in an attempt to tag the runner out… See the full definition

Comment

Now here's something interesting to read.

Comment

?? Second definition fits just fine
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                ?? Second definition fits just fine
                It's one word...

Comment

My question is, will this be a requirement for running the linux kernel? If it's optional and I can still run the linux kernel and switch terminals without it, then I'm fine with it. If it's a requirement then I'm not fine with it. My problem with LP and his squad of zealots is that they seem to think that forcing their crap on everybody else is a kick. They seem to get enjoyment out of watching everybody else squirm.

The reason why I absolutely refuse to install systemd or any of it's dependencies on my computer is because of that dev teams being oblivious to it's bugs. The fact is that it's buggy garbage, but the very second that is mentioned the first thing they do is blame it on anything else. They don't fix the bugs and then accuse something else as being responsible. That behavior will never be acceptable to me.
                  Last edited by duby229; 25 August 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    My question is, will this be a requirement for running the linux kernel? If it's optional and I can still run the linux kernel and switch terminals without it, then I'm fine with it. If it's a requirement then I'm not fine with it. My problem with LP and his squad of zealots is that they seem to think that forcing their crap on everybody else is a kick. They seem to get enjoyment out of watching everybody else squirm.

The reason why I absolutely refuse to install systemd or any of it's dependencies on my computer is because of that dev teams being oblivious to it's bugs. The fact is that it's buggy garbage, but the very second that is mentioned the first thing they do is blame it on anything else. They don't fix the bugs and then accuse something else as being responsible. That behavior will never be acceptable to me.
                    Duby... Ripping out the VT subsystem isn't being done by Lennart. Moving the VT's from kernelspace to userspace is about removing hacky, inefficient, complicated spaghetti code in the kernel.

As far as systemd... ALL software has bugs, systemd is no different. And I can say from experience that if there is a real bug in systemd or logind, Lennart is quick to respond to bug reports-- having reported and/or helped test a few my self. If something is systemd's fault, it gets fixed. However, systemd, and everything associated with it under the systemd umbrella name, is EXTREMELY well documented and if something is trying to do things incorrectly then yes I would say that the bugs are in THAT program, not systemd.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X