No announcement yet.

fglrx and Wine: Compatibility and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source engine DX9 render never worked with fglrx. So there clearly is something wrong with it...

Comment

I guess it depends on the card. On all my machines (HD2900XT, HD3850, 200M) performance seems adequate on "new" games, on both Windows and Linux. I should mention, however, that games like the original CS won't even run anymore with the new driver sets (on Windows and Linux).

Comment

But I'm not discussing DirectX performance at all, I'm discussing OpenGL performance... With the figures I've seen with UT99, I'm afraid games such as Doom3 will be but a horrible experience if it ever runs in the first place!

Comment

Doom3 runs fine on my HD2900XT and even on a old 9800PRO I use on a backup PC. On both, performance isn't that different from Windows. I never had any problems running any native Linux games with my ATI cards (while using the new drivers that is); Wine will always give you a big performance hit, which seems to be more pronounced with ATI cards.

Comment

My main interest in Wine would be 2D acceleration (traditionally not a strong point of the fglrx drivers)... I'll see how does Starcraft run, though.

Comment

Well, Starcraft does install, but runs incredibly slow. I remember there were some hacks to make Starcraft run faster (like switching from OpenGL driver to X11, and few others), but I don't seem to find information on how to actually do that.

Comment

Working...
              X