X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...

Originally posted by Michael Larabel View Post
    Phoronix: Gallium3D LLVMpipe Still Needs A Very Fast CPU

Well, no shit sherlock. You aren't supposed to use this to render your desktop, you are supposed to use it for render accuracy and new OGL component testing. CPUs have and will always be shitty GPUs, just as for many tasks GPUs are shitty CPUs.
    Last edited by Kivada; 23 August 2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      There's no automatic fallback like you are implying. It happens that certain drivers on really weak hardware (like that 4200, or the i915g intel driver) can specifically code in their driver to use the draw module for vertex shaders, because the hardware doesn't support that natively. But it's not like anyone running radeon si drivers will get a llvmpipe fallback because they hit some path that hasn't been implemented in the new drivers yet. It doesn't work like that.
      well we agree in the 4200/i915 cases but i am fairly sure the software fallbacks are there and is been discussed in a fair amount of threads now from which im not sure if this happens automatically[less likely] or only certain paths in the driver for certain conditions are hardcoded to fallback to software if any error is detected[at least until hardware get the feature] but someone closer to mesa could explain more deeply how the fallback is done and what are the heuristics for it.

of course if llvm support gl 4.4 and radeonsi support gl 2.1, all the llvm fallbacks will be gl 2.1 calls since the driver never announced opengl 4.4 to the application nor the driver will magically assume add new functionality outside its proper context unless is hardcoded to do so, in this we agree too

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        but i am fairly sure the software fallbacks are there and is been discussed in a fair amount of threads now from which im not sure if this happens automatically[less likely] or only certain paths in the driver for certain conditions are hardcoded to fallback to software if any error is detected[at least until hardware get the feature] but someone closer to mesa could explain more deeply how the fallback is done and what are the heuristics for it.
        Like i said, this doesn't happen, at least not on modern hardware and drivers.

Post proof if you believe otherwise - and no, comments in this forum don't count unless they are by a Mesa developer.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Like i said, this doesn't happen, at least not on modern hardware and drivers.

Post proof if you believe otherwise - and no, comments in this forum don't count unless they are by a Mesa developer.
          Now imagine using a small cluster of Epiphany-IV processors !

Comment

Wayland

Does LLVMpipe work with Wayland?

Comment

Working...
            X