Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce-Based Xubuntu Will Not Ship XMir For 13.10

Phoronix: Xfce-Based Xubuntu Will Not Ship XMir For 13.10

The Xubuntu team, the derivative of Ubuntu Linux focused around shipping the Xfce desktop environment, has decided against using XMir for their 13.10 release after extensive testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Xfce-Based Xubuntu Will Not Ship XMir For 13.10

The Xubuntu team, the derivative of Ubuntu Linux focused around shipping the Xfce desktop environment, has decided against using XMir for their 13.10 release after extensive testing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MjU

Lets see Lubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu are all going to run Xorg as they know Xmir "Atm" is just Shit (and that was me putting it in a nice way)
    "decided against using XMir for their 13.10 release after extensive testing"

Comment

Xubuntu is a fantastic alternative to Ubuntu for those prefer a more classical/simple environment and/or a superlight experience. XMir or XWayland wouldn't be a logical move as long as there is performance impact. Xorg (probably for last time) is a good choice for 13.10

PS i don't think XMir and XWayland will have so big performance impact in the future. They are under heavy development and optimization is totally missing. We must not forget that they are created as a transition solution to Mir and Wayland.
      Last edited by verde; 22 August 2013, 06:47 PM.

Comment

??

"More good news from this Xubuntu meeting is that t..."

good post. i don t come to phoronix again this a stupid way to bring news

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          Xubuntu is a fantastic alternative to Ubuntu for those prefer a more classical/simple environment and/or a superlight experience. XMir or XWayland wouldn't be a logical move as long as there is performance impact. Xorg (probably for last time) is a good choice for 13.10

PS i don't think XMir and XWayland will have so big performance impact in the future. They are under heavy development and optimization is totally missing. We must not forget that they are created as a transition solution to Mir and Wayland.
          The point is noone will run DE's on Xwayland it's not made for that at all it was made for App's Etc

Comment

I'm glad to read this. This means I've got more time with Xubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post

No, that's only Xmir. Which is why it's totally idiotic.

XWayland is meant to offer backwards compatibility to legacy X apps (including GTK2, Qt3/4, Motif, etc). It is not meant to run whole X DE's on top of it. Because that would be unbelievably stupid. Almost as stupid as what Canonical is doing with Xmir right now.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                No, that's only Xmir. Which is why it's totally idiotic.

XWayland is meant to offer backwards compatibility to legacy X apps (including GTK2, Qt3/4, Motif, etc). It is not meant to run whole X DE's on top of it. Because that would be unbelievably stupid. Almost as stupid as what Canonical is doing with Xmir right now.
                let them release Xmir and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post

Distrowatch rankings are completely meaningless...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post

Why the hell are you posting page hits as accurate distribution usage numbers?
                    Are you retarded or something?

Comment

Working...
                    X