Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.10 Continues Pushing Ahead With Wayland

Phoronix: GNOME 3.10 Continues Pushing Ahead With Wayland

New GTK+, Mutter, and GNOME Shell development releases in recent days continues advancing the GNOME 3.10 support for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    That is how you do away with software with non-free contributor agreements. Watch and learn KDE.
    why do you say non free?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      why do you say non free?
      KDE and/or Qt probably touched a nerve in some way.

Comment

That is how you do away with software with non-free contributor agreements. Watch and learn KDE.
        well that is a bit shortsighted opinion, Qt is tackleing many things at once[community/digia togheter] and its already supporting Wayland very close to Gtk+ level. I mean GTK+ is great but they have less issues to focus compared to Qt5/KF5, for example:

1.) KDE project is trimming all the fat from KDElibs and integrating all the useful features back to QtCore[will help tons for portability]
        2.) Wayland required bit more time on Qt due to scenegraphs integration, proper EGL/GLES, proper window management abstraction[QPA], QML composite API, QObject integration for wayland events, etc
        3.) Qt is focusing in parallel in android/iOS/BB10 ports too
        4.) Massive improvement in X11 codepath through abstraction and XCB migration
        5.) KDE wanted to leave a very stable 4.11 revision before focus totally in KF5 to avoid another 4.0 release situation
        6.) phasing out KDM and focus on a lean solution and systemd logind for wayland/XCB[for now QDDM seem the best candidate]

my point is both have different fronts to attack and different timescales to do it, i mean is awesome that gnome is getting wayland in september and is awesome that KDE is focusing in wayland, efficiency and portability for later next year and is awesome that EFL will go for wayland too in december

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          why do you say non free?
          He's just yet another Phoronix troll trying to cause controversy by spreading FUD and lies about open source projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            He's just yet another Phoronix troll trying to cause controversy by spreading FUD and lies about open source projects.
            like saying the FSF will not be only free?

Comment

Thanks for the news, always good to hear from gnome and wayland.

Comment

GNOME is focussed on Wayland, KDE as well. Move along, nothing to see except respect.

Comment

Gnome's and GTK's focus is transperant freedom and Linux. KDE's and Qt's focus is something else. I find it very hard not to admire gnome for its high standards and noble deeds. Now they even prove to be going at much higher development pace than KDE. What is there not to like?

Noble deeds? You make it should like they are trying to find a cure for cancer. How are they proving that they are going at a "higher development pace"? Given your track record, I'd be highly surprised if you could prove it, given that facts or even reality are not exactly your forte.

Yes I know some people are angry about them removing anti-features. Hate no more, 3.10 includes a revised tweal tool. While still being an outside job, the tweak tool got endorsed to the level of being a designed app and an official feature of 3.10.
                  Quite a wonderful contradiction in terms. So you are saying that they are introducing a tweal [sic] tool to restore the "anti" features. If they are, then isn't that an admission that those "anti-features" are in fact features that people actually want?

Also, given that they are insisting on having a tweak tool just to simply enable features that people want, instead of having the options built into GNOME and its programmes by default is indicative that as a whole the developers are still failing to properly listen to their users?

Comment

I'd be very interested to see gnome/wayland running on a raspberrypi. potentially the performance could be quite good.

Comment

Working...
                    X