XMir Has A Big Security Problem With VT Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    To those who don't get it: obviously Canonical is going to fix this bug before it's released. But how many others are they going to miss, if they've left something like this out there for so long?

When Mir was first announced, my first thought was: really? Canonical is going to do this by themselves, with no outside help? Are they really going to be able to make it bug free, will they have someone reviewing security issues, etc.?

All the Ubuntu fans were sure it wouldn't be a problem.

And now we get this.

I'm not going to say Canonical can't be successful with Mir, but this is exactly the kind of issue a lot of people were foreseeing would come up, and I'm not sure it's going to be the only one.

Obvious security flaws are easy to fix. It's the complicated ones that are difficult to discover that lie around forever and cause problems.
    all's i know is when testing Xmir i found it so full of Bug's it's not funny also it's so Broken for newer hardware it's not funny i don't know why anyone would want to release something irrelevant Like this at all

thing happen

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      all's i know is when testing Xmir i found it so full of Bug's it's not funny also it's so Broken for newer hardware it's not funny i don't know why anyone would want to release something irrelevant Like this at all

thing happen
      Why the hell are you posting page hits as accurate distribution usage numbers?
      Are you retarded? Wait, no, we all know you are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: XMir Has A Big Security Problem With VT Switching

A rather glaring security issue has been present in Canonical's XMir component for its new Mir display server, but there's been very little action in addressing the problem...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MjA

Comment

^Even if those were usage stats (and they weren't two years out of date), the graph mainly shows people moving from Ubuntu to... an Ubuntu derivative (not counting LMDE users).

Oh, and this is why ignore lists don't work. I still have to look at the inane noise/crap Linuxgamer spews when people quote it.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            I was reposting this member's link on form the first page. I don't know if this is a good link or not, I was just reposting. (i don't program)

Your poor English and over-the-topness makes you sound just like a troll though.... huh...... have you ever considered that your projecting? It's amazing how common it is for actually trolls to claim other people are trolls. Well known troll behavior is too be-little others, label them using strawmen terms, and call anything that doesn't fit your piont of view "retarded" or claim there is a conspiracies, like "PR lies". And when others call them out, they just dig in deeper and escalate the nastiness and inappropriateness of their assaults.
            Megazord troll.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: XMir Has A Big Security Problem With VT Switching

A rather glaring security issue has been present in Canonical's XMir component for its new Mir display server, but there's been very little action in addressing the problem...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MjA
              Nightly software has bugs! BREAKING NEWS!

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                Nightly software has bugs! BREAKING NEWS!
                Nightly software has a known security flaw that the distribution didn't make obvious to testers.

Comment

Originally posted by mjg59 View Post
                  Nightly software has a known security flaw that the distribution didn't make obvious to testers.
                  There's a bug report, what else do you expect? Every distro considers a bug report good enough. Or does Fedora put a giant flashing red alter popup on the desktop of thier prerelease software that I'm not aware of? The fact that your warned that there maybe bugs and other critical environment prohibitive issues before you download it seems good enough for every distro out there. Why the double standard for ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    There's a bug report, what else do you expect? Every distro considers a bug report good enough. Or does Fedora put a giant flashing red alter popup on the desktop of thier prerelease software that I'm not aware of? The fact that your warned that there maybe bugs and other critical environment prohibitive issues before you download it seems good enough for every distro out there. Why the double standard for ubuntu?
                    Well, considering how Ubuntu is aimed to common people and not necessarily techie people, they should point out something like "using bleeding edge software might be a buggy experience, check the bug reports here" on the Mir wiki. I think I'll make that suggestion to the developers list.

EDIT: The idea is to make clear you need to choose if it worths the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      Well, considering how Ubuntu is aimed to common people and not necessarily techie people, they should point out something like "using bleeding edge software might be a buggy experience, check the bug reports here" on the Mir wiki. I think I'll make that suggestion to the developers list.

EDIT: The idea is to make clear you need to choose if it worths the risk.

Go for it. The unity 8 installer has a wallpaper by default that says something like "prototype" or "alpha software", I don't remember which. That could be a useful addition that would get the point across without using developer resources.

Comment

Working...
                      X