Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    More power to em' we need more options, since it looks like both the Jolla and Firefox phones are going to be targeting the low end smartphone market while Ubuntu is trying to shoot for the high end.
    The Jolla phone isn't what I'd call low-end, more like middle-end.

Comment

<Ubuntu Fanboymode>They can still do it!!! Mark or some big investor will fund the remaining 20 million!!!</Ubuntu Fanboymode>

Ohh wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Non-free contributor agreements are the worst offenders. Do away with those and you have sovled 90% of the problem.
        Then why not just drop development for OO and the devs can join LO. Problem solved.

Ubuntu did not invent Linux but it certainly managed to get the most attention. The non-free problems will slowly get solved as FOSS gets more attention in the hardware vendor's eye. As for Mir and Unity? Nobody forces you to use any of them.

I'm getting tired of Ubuntu bashing. Just like I am with all the Stallman/GNU bashing. Don't like it, don't use it, stop whining. Use whatever the hell you want, modify it in whatever way you want and shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          It shouldn't take $50 million to do that because a lot of the research is already done.
          It's not about research, it's about production. You need the same production equipment to build one phone as you do one million phones, with the difference in total production cost coming down to materials in the devices (obviously one million phones require more materials than one phone). Therefore in order to recoup the cost of production you either need to sell a single multi-million-dollar phone (good luck), or thousands of cheaper phones.

Comment

Originally posted by matzipan View Post
            I'm getting tired of Ubuntu bashing. Just like I am with all the Stallman/GNU bashing. Don't like it, don't use it, stop whining. Use whatever the hell you want, modify it in whatever way you want and shut up.
            Developing Mir has an impact on a lot of projects. Shut up is terribly easy. It does impact me and the entire project I contribute to (GNOME). So I consider it a really bad decision. Seems that opinion is not unique. Don't like reading it? I think summarizing criticism as "bashing" is stupid. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
              Developing Mir has an impact on a lot of projects. Shut up is terribly easy. It does impact me and the entire project I contribute to (GNOME). So I consider it a really bad decision. Seems that opinion is not unique. Don't like reading it? I think summarizing criticism as "bashing" is stupid. Deal with it.
              If GNOME doesn't want to support Mir, fine, it doesn't have to... It can just run fine over Wayland or XMir. If you mean Unity 8 isn't based on GDE anymore, I don't see any problem with that either. I can't possibly see any way this affects GNOME directly.

I am personally glad it's not going to use any GDE components anymore, especially the incredibly buggy nm-applet, which crashes everytime I try to use it (hourly). Last time I asked for a feature in the bluetooth-applet to change the recieve file flow to something like Windows currently does, I was being looked down upon from some tight-assed GNOME developer.

Comment

That is the problem with non-free contributor agreements. Those who owns the projects with will not stop the duplication. Why does OO still exist? Why does upstart still exist? Why was MIR created? Because of the non-free contributor agreements. Better altermatives do exist. But those who own the non-free project prefer to keep demanding non-free contributor agreements to be signed.
                You mean upstart and mir are not free?

Comment

If the contributor agreement was removed, Upstart would be discontinued.
                  I'm not sure I follow.

Comment

Originally posted by matzipan View Post
                    If GNOME doesn't want to support Mir, fine, it doesn't have to... It can just run fine over Wayland or XMir. If you mean Unity 8 isn't based on GDE anymore, I don't see any problem with that either. I can't possibly see any way this affects GNOME directly.
                    GNOME does have to spend time on it. This is what was explained in the last 50 articles about Mir and what I said in my previous comment already. Saying "it does not have to" is very unrealistic. Are you actually a developer?

And this does NOT relate to what Unity 8 is based on.

Comment

The future cost of not using systemd and maintaining Upstart is so high it can only be justified by keeping Upstart under an non-free contributor agreement. If Upstart was free to the same level as systemd, it would have no value to Canonical.
                      The CLA argument is a red herring arguement. The FSF demands you sumbit to a CLA for all work contributed to GNU. So I guess you don't run any GNU operating systems then? Its one thing to hate Canonical and Shuttleworth however blowing things out of proportion and spreading misinformation without any proof that CLA are non-free because of the nature of them is not helping your cause and is quite frankly ridiculous given the position of the FSF regrarding your so-called non-free CLA http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

Comment

Working...
                      X