Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Too bad you haven't learnt to evaluate sources.
    Oh the irony!

Quote Originally Posted by andydread View Post
    Now we all know that any code....any code licensed under MIT can be taken proprietary by ANYONE including Microsoft and Apple and they have done this. Yet we don't see all the bitching about Wayland/Weston is bad because anyone can take the code are redistribute it as proprietary.
    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    In Wayland, everyone has the right. In Mir, ONLY Canonical has the exclusive right to create a proprietary fork. That is the point.
    So it all comes down to these guys thinking that it's best if anyone (including Apple, Microsoft, Google, The Grinch, and Satan) can make their code proprietary rather than the absolutely remote possibility that an open source company (whose only relevance relies on the fact they make open source products) turns that code into proprietary a thousand years from now.

Does this seem reasonable and unbiased? Yeah, I don't think so either.

Quote Originally Posted by nll_a View Post
    So it all comes down to these guys thinking that it's best if anyone (including Apple, Microsoft, Google, The Grinch, and Satan) can make their code proprietary rather than the absolutely remote possibility that an open source company (whose only relevance relies on the fact they make open source products) turns that code into proprietary a thousand years from now.

Does this seem reasonable and unbiased? Yeah, I don't think so either.
    Did you expect unbiased analysis from Canonical's competitor? :P

Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    Did you expect unbiased analysis from Canonical's competitor? :P
    Yeah, how naive of me. =S

Quote Originally Posted by nll_a View Post
    So it all comes down to these guys thinking that it's best if anyone (including Apple, Microsoft, Google, The Grinch, and Satan) can make their code proprietary rather than the absolutely remote possibility that an open source company (whose only relevance relies on the fact they make open source products) turns that code into proprietary a thousand years from now. Does this seem reasonable and unbiased? Yeah, I don't think so either.
    As I have noted before, free and open source software doesn't discriminate against Microsoft or Satan. If anyone wants to participate, they are able to do so but asymetrical licensing gives a legal exclusiveness to one commercial vendor. That I don't think is fair and Canonical makes both open source and proprietary software. So I don't think they should be allowed a free pass. Nor should Red Hat or SUSE for that matter. P.S: I am just a volunteer. Not a competitior to anyone. Software that I have contributed to is used by Canonical but is not limited to them. I don't have any problem with