No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd get the Edge if it were a slider. Even though they tried to make the terminal app more on screen keyboard friendly, it still seemed awkward based on videos I've seen. A physical keyboard would still be more useful.

Right now, I have a Droid 4 and I SSH into my home server to do stuff. The physical keyboard definitely helps. It would be nice to have a more complete terminal where I can run Bash scripts and apt-get install or even compile any needed command line apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Eh, they still have the bar none biggest haul off an indie fund, $12 mil is allot of venture capital to work with even if it's less then half of what they wanted.

More power to em' we need more options, since it looks like both the Jolla and Firefox phones are going to be targeting the low end smartphone market while Ubuntu is trying to shoot for the high end.
      They don't get $12 million, they get $0. All money is returned if the funding goals aren't met.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Canonical would get more backers if:

1. They made themselves, and this project, more known to the general public
        2. They didn't keep stabbing linux users in the back with things like mir
        3. They didn't have such a ridiculous demand to get this developed
        1 they have been Canonical has been in the news all over the place it Started with Bug no.1 thats all they know is PR
        2 you forgot bending over Linux users and all there Supporters and using the CLA to help
        3 they're Apple so they can make ridiculous demand's don't you know?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          2. They didn't keep stabbing linux users in the back with things like mir
          Yes, Linux users everywhere said "Linux was going along great until Canonical decided to do this in-house project that in no way affects other projects but darned if that didn't stab me in the back. Somehow."

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
            Yes, Linux users everywhere said "Linux was going along great until Canonical decided to do this in-house project that in no way affects other projects but darned if that didn't stab me in the back. Somehow."
            At the very minimum it doubles the number of new servers application and toolkit developers need to implement support for. Those guys probably do consider that a backstab.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              At the very minimum it doubles the number of new servers application and toolkit developers need to implement support for. Those guys probably do consider that a backstab.
              I guess they technically don't HAVE to, but it's still a dev issue and not Linux users in general.

Comment

I guess they technically don't HAVE to, but it's still a dev issue and not Linux users in general.

This is Phoronix. You kinda have to expect to get opinions from devs.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  I think this will reach 13M as sometimes in the last hour of most campaigns there's usually a surge.

In an interview he says companies need up to 50M for cutting edge devices.

I think they could reduce the costs needed but they would need to get rid of the experimental stuff like the Silicon-anode Li-ion battery and use regular ones and also probably the Sapphire Glass.

Of course those were big selling points, but most of the backers prefer the EDGE1 to become reality and then later on add these things to an EDGE2, since they will be cheaper by then.
                  I'm sure that's true, however, they're basically just taking current phone technologies and putting a few better parts in it here and there. It shouldn't take $50 million to do that because a lot of the research is already done. Also, the amount of money is huge for a "pledge what you want" campaign.

Comment

Extremely short sighted. Whatever affects developers, works its way through to their applications and at the end of the line it affects what your Linux distro can do for you, as an end user.

Needless duplication, in core infrastructure, makes everything more laborious and cumbersome. That is development time that could have been spent on other things than maintaining two display back-ends for zero gain. You now get more complexity, more chances on bugs, less development speed, more chances for incompatibilities and a lot more useless bickering.

But, for Ubuntu fans, Canonical can do no wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

Needless duplication
                      Welcome to the world of open source...

Will not be the first time , will not be the last time.

Am still figuring out why we have 2 open/libreoffices.... why make users, distros and devs/contributors choose one or the other and when if ever they will merge or 1 gets dropped. And well that's just the tip of the iceberg on the number of projects, DE's or distros aiming to do the same thing.

Am not sure if all this is actually good, bad, healthy or unhealthy for the ecosystem, but is the nature of foss / humans. We all want to believe in utopia (1 vision where everything is perfect and no one disagrees with anyone else), but till then, in the real world, we got things like democracy, because well frankly ~50% disagrees with the other ~50% and is why elections are usually always so close...
                      Last edited by madjr; 22 August 2013, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X