Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

Default Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

Phoronix: Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

The Ubuntu Edge crowd-sourced smart-phone campaign is set to end tonight, but Canonical is short by twenty million dollars on its crowd-funding campaign and there's been no last minute surprises to push the Ubuntu-powered converged device ahead...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MTU

...and I'm trying to move away from Ubuntu, I think.

Anyone using a distro where it was as much a breeze to install Steam as it was on Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by powdigsig View Post

Anyone using a distro where it was as much a breeze to install Steam as it was on Ubuntu?
    Mint has the exact same install process, while Manjaro even has it installed by default.

As expected, Canonical now spreads the word how successful this project was and how happy they are about it.
    Is there any source where they say that this is just a test _before_ it was clear that they won't reach the funding goal?

Quote Originally Posted by powdigsig View Post

There is a steam repository for fedora. For others, see there : https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...am_under_Linux

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Is there any source where they say that this is just a test _before_ it was clear that they won't reach the funding goal?
    Wow, and WHY exactly should anyone pledge if they say "hey it's just a test"...
    And yes they called it a survey several times, to see if there is demand for such a phone.

Canonical would get more backers if:

1. They made themselves, and this project, more known to the general public
    2. They didn't keep stabbing linux users in the back with things like mir
    3. They didn't have such a ridiculous demand to get this developed

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    2. They didn't keep stabbing linux users in the back with things like mir
    Lol? Yeah, if it wasn't for that it would of been a huge success like Jolla and published all over CNN

Eh, they still have the bar none biggest haul off an indie fund, $12 mil is allot of venture capital to work with even if it's less then half of what they wanted.

More power to em' we need more options, since it looks like both the Jolla and Firefox phones are going to be targeting the low end smartphone market while Ubuntu is trying to shoot for the high end.

I think this will reach 13M as sometimes in the last hour of most campaigns there's usually a surge.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Canonical would get more backers if:

3. They didn't have such a ridiculous demand to get this developed
    In an interview he says companies need up to 50M for cutting edge devices.

I think they could reduce the costs needed but they would need to get rid of the experimental stuff like the Silicon-anode Li-ion battery and use regular ones and also probably the Sapphire Glass.

Of course those were big selling points, but most of the backers prefer the EDGE1 to become reality and then later on add these things to an EDGE2, since they will be cheaper by then.