Can't load Hardy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't load Hardy

Don't know if this is the appropriate section to ask this, but I need help with Hardy. It simply won't load on my machine. Using the latest Alpha release, I can boot to the boot menu, but when I try to load it (either to install it or to use it as a LiveCD) it hangs at the loading stage, gives me the following errors:

Code:
     ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
    ... and drops me to a BusyBox prompt:

Code:
     Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
    or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev

ALERT! /dev/disk /by-uuid /2722354a-a243-4baa-8ef5-447c5-6c42 does not exist, dropping to shell!

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
    Interesting thing is that trying to load my own compiled 2.6.24 kernels produce the same error.
    I currently have a perfectly functional Gutsy install, and can use 2.6.23 kernels without issues. A kernel vs. hardware issue perhaps? These are my specs:

Asus M2R32-MVP (AMD 580X SB600)
    Athlon X2 4000+
    2x2GB DDR2 1000
    HD2900XT
    Audigy2 Value
    SATAII HDD (Seagate Barracuda)
    SATA DVD RW

I should also mention that I used to have an old FDD on this same machine, and when trying to load Hardy (or a 2.6.24 kernel) I would get some crazy activity on the FDD and a lot of "Bad sector" errors on FD0 (the FDD) followed by the ata errors above. Seems that it's having issues with my drives or something.
    Last edited by Melcar; 14 March 2008, 03:45 PM.

Something was broken in Hardy yesterday, although I think we saw malloc errors. I think it's fixed today. I can check with Matthew if you like -- he was the first one to run across the problem here.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Something was broken in Hardy yesterday, although I think we saw malloc errors. I think it's fixed today. I can check with Matthew if you like -- he was the first one to run across the problem here.
      It was glibc that had broke.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah, that glibc was driving everyone crazy. However, that's not my problem in this case.

Comment

throwing a borked glibc into repository... i doubt it's acceptable even at alpha stage. ubuntu's qa level is starting to scare me.

Comment

Working...
          X