Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Catalyst 13.8 Beta 2 Linux GPU Driver

Phoronix: AMD Releases Catalyst 13.8 Beta 2 Linux GPU Driver

Nearly three weeks after Catalyst 13.8 Beta for Linux, AMD has now released the second Linux graphics driver beta of the month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I personally encountered X freezing using the Heaven benchmark, so hopefully that was fixed. I have a crossfire setup though so maybe there was something there they didn't test.

Comment

I experience freeezing/hangs and image corruption right at the login screen, and then if I'm lucky after running any 3d app like glx gears on Ubuntu 12.04 with my 7950.

Comment

still the same ...

Still the same mistakes as in 13.8 beta1

1. Problems with access to /proc/ati - I made a patch from diff `s colleague Kolasa [publish below], and manifested that, of course, just like before - lack of access to resources by other non-root user:

so before applying the patch:

catalyst-13.8-beta2-broken

as well as the application patch:

catalyst-13.8-beta3-ok

2. Still slower - the last working perfectly 13.3 beta3 [my build 4 provided by our NeteXt'73 - working together with kernels 3.11.x]. Here the AMD APU E-350 lost productivity from 10 to 17%. Tested on Xonotic, LFS [running under Wine] CS: S, L4D2 - this native games.

3. The issue of memory leaks - so far not noticed but I am researching.

4. The rest is running fine.

5. Here the link to the patch - fglrx-13.8-root_proc-fix.patch
        Last edited by ext73; 20 August 2013, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Further tests and see that L4D2 works better ... but I do not know if it's "fault" of the last update the game or drivers as ... and I have not noticed so far also memory leaks ... but unfortunately there are still freeezing/hangs example during animation KDE ... or in the game - of course I have turned off vsync. At 13.3 beta3 that you will not find that.
          Last edited by ext73; 20 August 2013, 03:37 AM.

Comment

OpenGL

What about OpenGL 4.4?
            They just added OpenGL 4.3 support now?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              What about OpenGL 4.4?
              They just added OpenGL 4.3 support now?
              Yes, they did. They have ~1 year delay on average. It's not like a lot of people use the features of the latest spec anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Yes, they did. They have ~1 year delay on average. It's not like a lot of people use the features of the latest spec anyway...
                Well Nvidia already had a beta driver with OpenGL 4.4 support out the same week the specification was finalized and officially published.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Well Nvidia already had a beta driver with OpenGL 4.4 support out the same week the specification was finalized and officially published.
                  Exactly. And the specification was released some days ago, but it was obviously created by its members for months. There's no excuse for AMD to not have same-day drivers because they are members of the Khronos Group (along with Nvidia, Intel and others): http://www.khronos.org/about

The simply have more bureaucrats than engineers on the payroll (like most other companies).

Comment

Did anyone test how broken Nvidia's implementation is this time?
                    AMD = release OGL 4.4 in a year
                    Nvidia = fix OGL 4.4 in a year (while breaking the standards in the meantime to cause some headaches)

Comment

Working...
                    X