Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Driver Support To Land In FreeBSD 10.0

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Driver Support To Land In FreeBSD 10.0

We now know for sure that FreeBSD 10.0 will ship with a kernel mode-setting driver for supporting open-source AMD Radeon graphics with its Gallium3D driver being supported for 3D acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Other

Hopefully this soon is available on OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly BSD, MINIX, Plan 9 from Bell Labs, GNU and OpenSolaris too.

Comment

Questions: When AMD/Nvidia write EGL drivers for Wayland/Mir support, will that theoretically allow those drivers to work on BSD systems as well? Or is that impossible still due to something like those drivers supporting their own kernel mode settings?

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
        Questions: When AMD/Nvidia write EGL drivers for Wayland/Mir support, will that theoretically allow those drivers to work on BSD systems as well? Or is that impossible still due to something like those drivers supporting their own kernel mode settings?
        Nvidia's has the same Drivers for most all Systems http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html Far as i know Wayland will work fine on BSD Mir on the other hand who knows if it will work at all

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Hopefully this soon is available on OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly BSD, MINIX, Plan 9 from Bell Labs, GNU and OpenSolaris too.
          I'll add another one: FreeNAS

FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD (to the best of my knowledge). They just released FreeNAS 9.1.0, and hopefully they'll make it to 10.0 in a timely fashion. I'd love the FreeNAS console to be higher resolution, and eventually get DPM support for the power savings.

Comment

Originally posted by xterminator
            Good thing I have never and will never trust BSD devs or thier crappy OSes.
            Why don't you put more time into English classes?

That way people might not dismiss your posts since they look like they were written by a twelve year old.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
              No - although the NVidia drivers already support BSD and will likely continue to do so.

EGL is an API the drivers expose toward userspace programs (and they already support GLX, so replacing that with EGL support doesn't really do anything for OS support).

The drivers have to individually support all the differences inside the linux/bsd kernels in order to integrate properly in them - that is, they use the internel kernel APIs that are provided to them. Those API's won't change at all with EGL support, since they are internal to the kernel and EGL is only exposed to userspace clients.

If your question was will Wayland and Mir then work on the BSD's, the answer is maybe. It's a prerequisite, but more stuff needs to happen. Wayland is already at least partially running on the BSD's, and would likely pick up full fglrx/nvidia support when these drivers come out. Mir probably won't, because there are various low-level libraries that differ between Linux and BSD, and it's doubtful Canonical will want to port Mir since Ubuntu just uses Linux. BSD developers were the ones to port Wayland, and they'd probably need to be the ones to port Mir which seems unlikely given it's GPL3 status and the fact that Wayland is already working there.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 19 August 2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

This is good news in any case.

I wonder how easy it will be to maintain this code in the future. I understand the reason low-level stuff was torn out of X and put in the kernel, where it belongs, and I do understand the advantages of maintaining the KMS drivers inside the kernel tree. It is true, however, that this made things more difficult for the BSD folks, and other systems which rely on Mesa and X.org for their graphics drivers.

How easy will it be to sync the latest Linux KMS with the OpenBSD and FreeBSD forks?

Comment

As was mentioned recently in another article the Radeon KMS / TTM port was commited to the OpenBSD tree. It is working on amd64, i386, macppc and sparc64.

NetBSD and DragonFly will catch up in time.

There was an article about Oracle working on a KMS / TTM port to Solaris. It'll probably show up with Solaris 12.

Comment

"ditto":

... even just this though, (especially for PCBSD): "...AMD Radeon Driver Support To Land In FreeBSD 10.0..." is a long awaited sight for sore eyes, for BSD Users. Please, (AMD), don't let this become a "pipe"-dream.

I don't care how, why, or where they do it, "when" has been too long a comin' though.
                    - just want an AMD Catalyst driver, that hopefully will have the same "quality" as the nvidia driver normally does. AMD might not sell as many cards as they do in Linux persay, but hey, if you wanna sell card$, then lets all chip-in and build these long-awaited drivers...

We can worry about wayland, mir, systemd,..., later right ? <- Lol. -it just never ends eh ?
                    Last edited by scjet; 20 September 2013, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X