Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XPRA: Persistent Remote Applications On X

Phoronix: XPRA: Persistent Remote Applications On X

The XPRA project provides a means of having "persistent remote application" support for X11 applications atop an X.Org Server. This allows for X applications to live on even if the connection to the server has been dropped...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds like fun.

Comment

X is just beyond amazing. Hopefully it lives on forever.

Comment

Yes, definitely.
        I wonder how do wayland and/or mir are supposed to provide something similar to that without hacking things...
        THIS is network transparency.
        We will sadly forget about those things.

ByeBye ssh -Y

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
          Yes, definitely.
          I wonder how do wayland and/or mir are supposed to provide something similar to that without hacking things...
          THIS is network transparency.
          We will sadly forget about those things.

ByeBye ssh -Y
          There is no network transparency in X.

Comment

Call it as you like, but things remain.

Nx, ssh, xpra...
            Wayland devs keeps saying X "WAS" transparent over network, but i can still ssh to a remote box and have an application seamless render on my local display.
            Is it slow? maybe, but i can still use nX to make things go really fast over poor lines, didn't tried xpra, but it seems to support x264.
            I repeat, how am i supposed to have a gui app to survive a wayland restart?
            How am i supposed to forward a single app to a remote display with wayland?
            Don't answer Xwayland...

Don't get me wrong, i think wayland is a great thing, but when things changes, you have to say farewell to something to embrace something else.
            Last edited by kokoko3k; 19 August 2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
              Call it as you like, but things remain.

Nx, ssh, xpra...
              Wayland devs keeps saying X "WAS" transparent over network, but i can still ssh to a remote box and have an application seamless render on my local display.
              No reason why you couldn't do the same on Wayland.

Is it slow? maybe, but i can still use nX to make things go really fast over poor lines, didn't tried xpra, but it seems to support x264.
              I repeat, how am i supposed to have a gui app to survive a wayland restart?
              Why wouldn't you?

How am i supposed to forward a single app to a remote display with wayland?
              X uses direct rendering by clients in practice, Wayland uses direct rendering by clients as a matter of protocol, where's the diff?

Don't answer Xwayland...

Don't get me wrong, i think wayland is a great thing, but when things changes, you have to say farewell to something to embrace something else.
              Why would you? There's no reason why Wayland couldn't be used remotely. Absolutely none whatsoever. It will probably make remoting better than what is now in X.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                No reason why you couldn't do the same on Wayland.

Why wouldn't you?

X uses direct rendering by clients in practice, Wayland uses direct rendering by clients as a matter of protocol, where's the diff?

Why would you? There's no reason why Wayland couldn't be used remotely. Absolutely none whatsoever. It will probably make remoting better than what is now in X.
                I think remote applications would be a feature of the window manager when using wayland, so the support for and quality of will probably vary greatly.

Comment

Working...
                X