Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    I'm talking about the whole price up and downs.
    That was Redundant

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Link?
      I can give you several.

The Linux Foundation's most recent job survey reveals that eighty percent of IT companies that use Linux are making hiring Linux professionals a priority.

Etc. You get the picture.

This is because Notch goes in there and drops a million or so for the Linux side. It kinda skews the average big-time.
      Sure, whatever you say... in the latest weekly bundle the highest amount donated was $1500, and the Linux average is still larger than win/mac. Or if we look at the latest indie bundle (#8), Linux users' average was 50% higher than the others, this Notch person only paid $5000, not a million. We can also look at the totals - the total amount paid in HIB8 is $2M, and Linux users are responsible for ~10% of that, or $200k, that means that the single $5k payment is only 2.5% of the total donated by Linux users - not exactly something that would "sway" the average all that much.

Comment

Time is up. No extension was made. The crowdfunding campaign is over.

Comment

I'm not sure that selling 50k phones should be put in the category of "hella popular".

BlackBerry probably sold that many Z10 phones in its first day, and the Z10 is decidedly not "hella popular".

This kinda comes off as the usual Linux geek delusions of grandeur that seem so common.
          Why would you compare a start-up that has no preexisting user-base* to far larger co's that have estb. user-bases? Apples & Oranges.
          50k's** very +ve news for a tiny start-up of approx. 100 employes who's seeking to unlock more droplets of that pledged 250million in funding.
          Even if they unlocked none of it (unlikely but possible), 50k's more than enough to keep a co. that size going well into the foreseeable future.
          And then there's the talk of them committing to 1x final round of pre-orders for 2013...

*aside from users from maemo/meego & other loosely related platforms, but that's been a shrinking demographic for ages & never was big/loved from the outset
          **which we don't know for sure is accurate, but they have strongly hinted it's around that amt
          Last edited by jalyst; 24 August 2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
            Why would you compare a start-up that has no preexisting user-base* to far larger co's that have estb. user-bases? Apples & Oranges.
            50k's** very +ve news for a tiny start-up of approx. 100 employes who's seeking to unlock more droplets of that pledged 250million in funding.
            Even if they unlocked none of it (unlikely but possible), 50k's more than enough to keep a co. that size going well into the foreseeable future.
            And then there's the talk of them committing to 1x final round of pre-orders for 2013...

*aside from users from maemo/meego & other loosely related platforms, but that's been a shrinking demographic for ages & never was big/loved from the outset
            **which we don't know for sure is accurate, but they have strongly hinted it's around that amt
            Because I choose to look at things objectively.

Comment

Because I choose to look at things objectively.
              A objective person wouldn't parrot the well-worn mantra that:
              "The worldwide market's fulls, there's no way for a tiny start-up to carve out a small niche & go from there."
              But that's not what you were thinking right, nah, not at all...
              Last edited by jalyst; 24 August 2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                A objective person wouldn't parrot the well-worn mantra that:
                "The worldwide market's fulls, there's no way for a tiny start-up to carve out a small niche & go from there."
                But that's not what you were thinking right, nah, not at all...
                No, I just questioned the idea that it's "hella popular".

Maybe I just have different ideas of what that term means.

Comment

No, I just questioned the idea that it's "hella popular".

Maybe I just have different ideas of what that term means.
                  Yeah well, it kinda depends on the context in which it was meant, doesn't it...
                  The long held notion of a complete Linux/FOSS mobile stock would be "hella popular" amongst enthusiasts who've seen it treated as little more than a concept by large co's over 8yrs+.
                  Or seen it executed poorly by much smaller organisations, with very limited resources.
                  Last edited by jalyst; 26 August 2013, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X