AMD Releases R300 3D Register Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glisse View Post
    Most of powersaving options should already be supported for X600 (R4xx) chipset (man radeon and look for anythings with clock in the name). I believe Powerplay was introduced with X1xxx (R5XX) and is part of atombios. Note that Matthew Garrett also have a couple of nice powersaving tricks available for r5xx.
    X600 is an RV380 chip IIRC and therefore Pre-ATOM (last time I asked a developer clarified that). This is what I get from aticonfig --lsp:
    Code:
    [val@tux ~]$ aticonfig --lsp

core/mem      [flags]
    -----------------
      1: 105/122 MHz  [low voltage]
    * 2: 398/250 MHz  [default state]
    IIRC it 'low voltage' is the important thing fglrx does and radeon didn't last time I tried, not only lowering the clock but also lowering the voltage and do some PCI powersaving stuff.
    This is what I get for PowerPlay from aticonfig -h:
    Code:
    POWERplay Options:
      Following options will not change the config file. 
      These options will be effective immediately. Other options on 
      the same command line will be ignored.                        
      --lsp, --list-powerstates                                     
            Print information about power states and exit.          
      --set-powerstate=NUMBER                                       
            Set a power state listed by --list-powerstates.         
      --auto-powerstates=on|off                                     
            Enable/disable automatic transitions between battery and performance
            modes on AC/DC transitions. This automatic mode is enabled by default,
            and may compete with atieventsd style power management.
    It is just that switching between fglrx and radeon is not trivial on Arch (atm I would have to upgrade to xorg-server-1.6 to try xf86-video-ati 6.12.2) so I wanted not to try radeon only out of the blue and asked about the state of affairs again...

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Is that was I was looking for?
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So how would I get this version of the radeon driver?

BIG EDIT: I think I will ask further question in the discussion of the article I linked to. Thanks!
    Last edited by signor_rossi; 15 April 2009, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by signor_rossi View Post
      EDIT: Is that was I was looking for?
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I would have to check out from git?
      aticonfig is useless with opensource driver, there is a tool called radeontool which should be somewhere on the net and maybe even available through your distribution which gives you same option as aticonfig ie to lower gpu & ram frequency and also enable other powersaving options. It's also available in lastest ddx through Xorg configuration (thus needing X restart each time you want to change configuration).

Comment

Working...
      X