Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Phoronix: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Now that Mir is living in the Ubuntu 13.10 archive, new Phoronix benchmarks have been conducted to look at the current performance impact of routing the graphics through XMir rather than running an X.Org Server directly on Ubuntu Linux. For this latest XMir testing, the System76 Gazelle Professional laptop with an Intel Core i7 "Haswell" CPU sporting Intel HD Graphics was benchmarked for 2D and 3D environments.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Haswell Laptop Impact When Running XMir

Now that Mir is living in the Ubuntu 13.10 archive, new Phoronix benchmarks have been conducted to look at the current performance impact of routing the graphics through XMir rather than running an X.Org Server directly on Ubuntu Linux. For this latest XMir testing, the System76 Gazelle Professional laptop with an Intel Core i7 "Haswell" CPU sporting Intel HD Graphics was benchmarked for 2D and 3D environments.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19045
    You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.

Comment

Who need games after all, if you got such a wonderful invention like Mir is.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
        You do realize that xmir is not mir, right? It's a temporary kludge for compatibility. What I am really looking forward to seeing is benchmarks of straight up mir. That ought to be quite snappy compared to xorg.
        That would require having a working native Mir desktop in the first place and all toolkits being ported to it. It's targeted for 14.10. 13.10 and 14.04 will rely on XMir entirely. That's quite a long time and a lot of people will stay on 14.04 which is LTS I think.
        Last edited by blackout23; 18 August 2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Do you realize that the ubuntu users will run upon Xmir and not mir for the next release, right?
          Then the article makes perfectly sense and nope, it's not a temporary kludge, it's a stupid thing made by stupid people to force their user base to became an unwanted beta testers until they will install the binary blob (more or less two minutes after the OS installation). In that case they fall back to X and do not provide any feedback to the idiots.
          Without the feedback and bug report the whole idea of run ubuntu upon XMir makes no sense at all.

Comment

At least with Intel Haswell graphics it's great hardware backed by a decent open-source graphics driver. For slower GPUs and worse driver scenarios (e.g. Nouveau without re-clocking), the slower XMir performance could simply cripple the system from delivering usable frame-rates.
            Err dude, I hope you do realise that 1) Mir does not have the "unredirect dullscreen windows" option and 2) nouveau does not deliver usable frame-rates for anything else than a composited desktop.

Comment

lol

normal since xmir/mir is alpha yet

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                Err dude, I hope you do realise that 1) Mir does not have the "unredirect dullscreen windows" option and 2) nouveau does not deliver usable frame-rates for anything else than a composited desktop.
                yeah but you know things happen

"Matthew Garrett
                The more I look at the Mir VT switching code, the more I realise that Canonical have no fucking idea what they're doing."

Comment

No. It will only be as good as X. There seems to be a misconception here that X itself is a bottleneck...

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                    Not to mention the GPU-lockups some people have with Nouveau (i have a GTX 660Ti). It's not useable at all...

Comment

Working...
                    X