Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Gazelle Pro: Ubuntu 13.04 vs. 13.10

Phoronix: System76 Gazelle Pro: Ubuntu 13.04 vs. 13.10

System76 recently sent out their Gazelle Professional laptop that's been updated with a mobile Intel Core i7 "Haswell" processor. We're still in the process of fully reviewing this Haswell laptop pre-loaded with Ubuntu 13.04 and comparing it to the range of Intel notebook competition, but for this weekend article are some basic Ubuntu 13.04 vs. Ubuntu 13.10 performance benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not the galago ultrapro?

I would've rather seen a review of that honestly as I have not seen any reviews of Iris pro under linux, as well as getting a sense of one of the few ultrabooks/thin and light/whatever-you-wanna-call-it that come preloaded with a linux distro

Comment

Originally posted by orawas View Post
      I would've rather seen a review of that honestly as I have not seen any reviews of Iris pro under linux, as well as getting a sense of one of the few ultrabooks/thin and light/whatever-you-wanna-call-it that come preloaded with a linux distro
      This notebook features Intel HD 4600, not the Iris Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by orawas View Post
        Yes. I was actually researching this last night (same thing as far as I understand). Quad core in a package that size would be nice...

Comment

Does System76 plan on making any ultraportables in the 10.1" to 11.6" screen range? Maybe with an Intel Haswell Y-series chip? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by qikqerz View Post
            Does System76 plan on making any ultraportables in the 10.1" to 11.6" screen range? Maybe with an Intel Haswell Y-series chip? Thanks!
            System76 doesn't make the laptops, Clevo does. As far as I've seen most machines are bigger and gamer-oriented. (Maybe they should do some business-oriented machines, including features like the power bridge in the T440s. Lenovo needs some competitors IMO.)

Comment

I'm in the market for a new development laptop and its this or the galago at this point - no other manufacturer seems to make 1080p IPS matte screen laptops in reasonable size (14 - 16") for development. I just find 12.5 - 13.3" way too small to have split terminals, and they keyboards often suck when they are that small.

But I do want to see a review of the Galago, and I'm sad that both have cheap construction - I'd love to pay an extra $200 for a unibody alumnium rigid build to match an IPS 1080p matte screen and i7 processor. Also wish someone would push coreboot capable chipset boards besides Google. I hear the keyboards on both models are mediocre, any word on that? I'm going to carry a physical mouse everywhere anyway, because I hate track pads (wtb touchscreen model, though).

Comment

Working...
              X