Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Mesa Team Has Grown About 10x In Three Years

Phoronix: Intel's Mesa Team Has Grown About 10x In Three Years

When it comes to open-source Linux graphics drivers, Intel is the company most committed to their success. Intel exclusively offers their Linux graphics support through a fully open-source stack while AMD and NVIDIA are mostly focused on their proprietary graphics drivers. AMD does have a handful of employees devoted to their open-source driver while NVIDIA dedicates no one and leaves it up to the Nouveau community for reverse-engineering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel's Mesa Team Has Grown About 10x In Three Years

When it comes to open-source Linux graphics drivers, Intel is the company most committed to their success. Intel exclusively offers their Linux graphics support through a fully open-source stack while AMD and NVIDIA are mostly focused on their proprietary graphics drivers. AMD does have a handful of employees devoted to their open-source driver while NVIDIA dedicates no one and leaves it up to the Nouveau community for reverse-engineering...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzOTE
    All we can say in favor of NVIDIA is that they haven't sued the poor folks reverse engineering their stuff.

I am so glad to see a company getting Linux support right (and it certainly will pay off in the upcoming, Linux-centric mobile future). My money goes where my mouth speaks, and I switched to a Haswell based build for my home Desktop.

Cheers!

Comment

We want an Android phone with 100% FOSS drivers
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Have a look at the OpenPhoenux project, in combination with Replicant.
        It's not quite ready for the mass market, but going into the right direction, fullfilling your demands.

Comment

we have a FOSS Android Clone... by the FSF

Comment

opengl 3.2?

since when? what i know is only 3.1 partial 3.2/3.3
            Last edited by Andrecorreia; 17 August 2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Replicant

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              since when? what i now is only 3.1 partial 3.2/3.3
              Yupp, seems not 3.2 or or 3.3 yet.

Comment

One thing I have been wondering about...How many of the company employed people working on mesa, works from a remote location?

Comment

AMD should take notes from Intel. Proprietary drivers don't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    AMD should take notes from Intel. Proprietary drivers don't make sense.
                    Unless you mean Nvidia that statement makes absolutely no sense. It's not exactly like AMD can just stop making the proprietary driver and throw it's weight completely behind the open source driver, they still need to provide the proprietary driver for the time being for both Windows and for the Workstation users for whom they're actually doing the proprietary drivers on linux for, meanwhile they've been working on bringing up an opensource driver stack which until recently wasn't really capable of replacing the proprietary drivers for most users due to lacking proper dynamic power management and the 3D performance being poor and even today none of the drivers are compatible with the latest openGL spec, and openCL last I heard was still a WIP. As a result of all of that they still really can't switch their workstation market over to using the opensource drivers and even then unless they switch over their windows driver to being based on the opensource ones it's not like they can exactly throw most of their effort behind it. Whatever happens though my guess would be they're a few years away from being capable of switching and even then it's a question as to whether they will or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X