Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipelight: A Way To Get Netflix On Linux

Phoronix: Pipelight: A Way To Get Netflix On Linux

Pipelight is a new open-source project for getting Microsoft Silverlight applications to run within web-browsers on Linux, including the widely sought after Netflix Player on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tried to get it to work on Fedora, had to jump through some hoops, got it to say
    Code:
    [PIPELIGHT] Init sucessfull!
    but it still fails to load

Comment

Hopefully pipelight will allow for GPU decoding, otherwise get ready for 100% CPU pegging and laggy as all hell video like we got with netflix-desktop
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Using the more wine dependent Netflix hack. I am excited that there is progress towards more linux native options. I imagine it might take a few days/weeks to work out kinks...

Comment

This is using the same wine hack for silverlight but using xembed (as far as I have seen) to use it as a plugin for native browsers.
          The MDN Web Docs site provides information about Open Web technologies including HTML, CSS, and APIs for both Web sites and progressive web apps.

No idea if gpu decoding with silverlight through wine works (probably not) but the display in a native browser may help performance. Whenever I tried netflix-desktop the firefox in wine would often just freeze up or be laggy as hell, even when not even using the silverlight plugin.

Comment

I don't get it, I thought Moonlight was a way to watch netflix stuff on linux. I don't use netflix so I'm not sure if that's still valid or not.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I don't get it, I thought Moonlight was a way to watch netflix stuff on linux. I don't use netflix so I'm not sure if that's still valid or not.
              Moonlight doesn't implement the proprietary microsoft DRM netflix requires.
              This wouldn't be an issue because silverlight never got close to catching on, but for some reason Netflix is still using it albeit slowly moving towards html5(which linux probably STILL won't be able to use)

to be fair, if they used flash we probably still couldn't use it, HBOGO recently blocked me from viewing their content on linux and it's flash based.

Comment

Another soon to be dead project.

Netflix is ditching silverlight:

With the release of Windows 8.1 Preview, Netflix now supports streaming over HTML5 instead of Microsoft's proprietary Silverlight plug-in. The caveat is that only Internet Explorer 11, which is bundled with Windows 8.1, supports the necessary HTML5 extensions; if you're a Firefox or Chrome user, you'll continue to use the Silverlight plug-in. In our initial testing, the switch to HTML5 sees a massive reduction in CPU usage -- about one third of Silverlight's CPU usage.

Comment

Got Silverlight 5.1 to work and the FPS is a lot better BUT I am not able to get Netflix to work. XEmbed patch or config is not correct.

Comment

Hi,

I am one of the developers of Pipelight. Did you also apply the other patches from Erich E. Hoover http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ehoover.../wine-patches/ which are required to get DRM working? If you have any problems, you can also find me in the #pipelight channel on Freenode.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                    X