Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau NV50 VP3/VP4 Engine Support Committed

Phoronix: Nouveau NV50 VP3/VP4 Engine Support Committed

As a follow-up to the news a few days ago about NVIDIA VP3/VP4 Engines Exposed On Nouveau For MPEG-2/VC-1, the support has now been committed to Mesa Git master...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Then we hope to see VP5 support added soon.

What I would really like to see is reclocking support though.
    But I heard it is very tricky, but that someone is working on it, but fan management is a prerequisite.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      VP5 support has been around since Mesa 9.1/Kernel 3.8, I think. (At least NVC0+ VP4 support was, not 100% sure if VP5 was added at the same time or a bit later.) See http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/ for details on how to get that going.

Comment

But I heard it is very tricky, but that someone is working on it, but fan management is a prerequisite.
        Memory reclocking is about the most arcane thing you can do, and thats without having to reverse engineer it. And yes, fan management would of course be a pre-req because you dont want to run the card at full speeds without a fan cooling it, thats a recipe for fried hardware
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

VP4.2 and 5 were the first ones to be added and they work flawlessly.
          src: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

Fan management is pretty much done for cards where it is needed (those not using an internal ?c to drive the fan). There is a bug related to suspend but I sent patches and they should appear upstream very soon.

As for (memory) reclocking, this is indeed tricky. We need to work on it more! But you are right, I decided to stop working on reclocking to concentrate on thermal management because it was a prerequisite.

Comment

Working...
          X