Lots Of Ubuntu Mir Changes Expected Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    I don't see why people think its fair to mock Mir for not being ready after 1 year of development(ie: its useless, can't even run applications natively), but Wayland gets a free pass even though we've been waiting since early 2008.....
    Maybe Mir gets mocked because Canonical did a 180 on their Wayland support a year before Wayland is set to take the distro world by storm. Wayland is built to truly replace X, we still don't know why Mir is built. GPLv3 and CLA seem to point to control, but that wasn't even necessary, as Wayland is MIT licensed and can be used as FOSS or relicensed proprietary. So far Mir, tecnically, seems to have progressed to a stage where it is a mere shim underneath a running X.org and somewhere in the future, one DE (Unity) is set to run on Mir natively. Practically all other non-niche desktop projects have taken up Wayland support as an important to do and the major ones already have initial Wayland compositor support.

Mir is folly, because Canonical is too small (in size and finance) to develop and maintain a well designed display server architecture and the rest of the Linux community already has a high quality display server design in Wayland, so no serious outside development nor uptake for Mir will materialise.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      I saw that article and your interpretation is very piss-poor.
      No, unlike the claim ?The head of gnome says "i see no feature linux in the desktop market" . Then they group up a campaign against ubuntu??

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
        We will probably see Shuttleworth unveil the master plan in the coming months/years. And it's probably gonna be great for the Linux desktop. Not that there are many corporations out there who support and advance the desktop at this time..... The money just isn't there unless maybe after you reach a threshold and see profit so nobody is trying. Which is why we should be a little more grateful towards Canonical, spewing less hate towards them. If it wasn't for them we would still be using RHEL 6 with shit driver support and no games.
        Maybe, but the way I see it, Ubuntu has less and less to do with being a fullfledged Linux distribution and it's becoming more and more a mobile OS (a la Android and iOS) with some desktop gimmicks applied on top. That doesn't serve my needs (I'm also not running Android on my non-phones), so no support for Canonical from me. It-Is-FOSS-So-Support-It-Unconditionally is a dangerous route to follow.

Besides, if Canonical, Ubuntu and Shuttleworth are THE commercial forces you proclaim them to be, they don't need my support to make their FrankenLinux a success.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Nobody aside from Canonical will ever choose Mir, because it's developed with Unity in mind. So any "win" of Canonical in that regard is mostly worthless to the rest of the desktop Linux platform, because they're using a different display stack and a different desktop environment. Also, Mir and Wayland aren't exactly direct competitors, either. Wayland is not affected by the Mir developments, they continue trying to get things set up perfectly, just as before. Had Canonical stayed with Wayland, or at least given up on Mir, this whole mess could have been averted.
          other DEs can implement Mir support but their refusal is more political than technical. there is QMir which brings Mir support. Other GUI toolkit will be implemented. so there is no any technical reason for your argument
          yes indeed Unity-Next is designed for Mir the inverse is not fully true

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
            other DEs can implement Mir support but their refusal is more political than technical. there is QMir which brings Mir support. Other GUI toolkit will be implemented. so there is no any technical reason for your argument
            No need for Mir, wayland is the future for linux desktop, gnome and kde.

Comment

other DEs can implement Mir support but their refusal is more political than technical.
              It is more practical than technical or political. There is no advantage to it, will almost certainly require heavily patching both Mesa and at least gtk (and maybe Qt as well), and, most importantly, can't be used with any of the desktop environments they ship. So the question is, why would they ship software that requires a lot of work on their part but cannot even be used?

Comment

Originally posted by omglotsofdots View Post
                The head of gnome says "i see no feature linux in the desktop market" .
                I also see no feature Linux in the desktop market. I only see smart Linux in it

Comment

No it's not. Other DE's absolutely can not implement Mir support and it's not about refusal or being political, the reasons are 100% technical. It's the other way around - the creation of Mir was entirely political, as there was no technical reason for its existence and still isn't.

I've explained these reasons so many times on this forums to people like you who don't bother learning the facts but instead just read everything from the blog of Shuttleworth, JonoBacon or some other Canonical PR man (read: liar).

So I'm not going to bother explaining them once again. Let someone else take a turn for a chance. Suffice it to say, no one else will use Mir because it's not a feasible solution for anyone else, and there's already Wayland which is designed to run in various, diverse environments and be 100% customizable to every need from mobile/embedded to desktop to workstations.

Comment

Toolkit support does not automatically result in window manager support.
                    So yes, most KDE applications will probably run under a Mir-based DE but the Wokspaces components (esp. KWin itself) won't and the reason for that is technical. Martin Graesslin went a bit more into detail in a G+ post from 2, 3, or so months ago.

Comment

You really have no clue, do you? How will client side support for application (QMir or any other) help a DE in making a shell, compositor and display server for Mir?

Comment

Working...
                      X