Lots Of Ubuntu Mir Changes Expected Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
    mir will win the battle on ubuntu, and wayland on the others distributions..amd drivers continue to run slow on linux than windows, for me the only option for playing is windows, and linux for other 2d taks..., I don't need more shit closed drivers by amd, no mir and no steam on linux for me.
    How come I get a few more FPS in games on Linux than on Windows then?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I still don't get it.
      News is Mir lands in 13.10 but then I only hear about the phone version actually working.
      Still if desktop Mir is enabled in 13.10 will the Gnome apps work directly on Mir? If thru Xmir then there's little to no value using Mir.

Looking stuff up on Wikipedia is really not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        article is from 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised that 4 years later more than 1 is using Ubuntu.
        I think more are using Ubuntu now, have some friends who work in animation, and they say most renderfarms they use run on Ubuntu. Weta Digital is a great example as they are now an entirely Ubuntu shop, with Ubuntu used for *both* their workstations and their render farms. Films they have worked on include Avatar, District9, Day the Earth Stood Still, Jumper, King Kong, Lord of the Rings, Fantastic Four, Eragon, X-Men, i-Robot. (source: http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/...r-renders.html).

Ubuntu does own the cloud guest OS market with about 60% market share worldwide (see http://thecloudmarket.com/stats for up to date stats), I suppose some of the same benefits that made Ubuntu so dominant in the cloud also apply to render farms.

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
          if there is a hope for the Linux desktop Linux for gamers/the masses/non-technical users, it would be Ubuntu. A strong Linux-based competitor to Windows is the dream of any advocate of open-source software. Ubuntu success means linux desktop success
          yes indeed.We saw how the traditinal approach of distos to the desktop worked out so far.The head of gnome says "i see no feature linux in the desktop market" . Then they group up a campaign against ubuntu,stop their progress by unmotivating them with heavy critisizes,sayin every that its sh*t and so , making wayland a standart . I tried lot of distros even puppy and i think one of them that can shake things up in desktop market and other markets would be absolutely UBUNTU.

Comment

Originally posted by omglotsofdots View Post
            The head of gnome says "i see no feature linux in the desktop market" . Then they group up a campaign against ubuntu
            You're confused. Mark Shuttleworth recently told ArsTechnica that the desktop has no future which is why he's doing Ubuntu Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              How come I get a few more FPS in games on Linux than on Windows then?
              My nvidia run with *stuttering serious sam bfe3 and left 4 dead2, on windows I have perfectly 60fps smooth, at 1080p( gt 660), my amd apu, take 5 minutes for start a game...., on windows I play perfectly without issues, for me linux it's not an option for gaming yet.

Comment

I don't see why people think its fair to mock Mir for not being ready after 1 year of development(ie: its useless, can't even run applications natively), but Wayland gets a free pass even though we've been waiting since early 2008.....

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  You're confused. Mark Shuttleworth recently told ArsTechnica that the desktop has no future which is why he's doing Ubuntu Touch.
                  I saw that article and your interpretation is very piss-poor.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    I don't see why people think its fair to mock Mir for not being ready after 1 year of development(ie: its useless, can't even run applications natively), but Wayland gets a free pass even though we've been waiting since early 2008.....
                    The problem isn't that Mir isn't ready, it is that Ubuntu is going to use it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                      you know, modularisation of X.org server, changes of the linux graphic stack, and such, that have been made for/along wayland all these years, and make Mir possible.

Why do you think Mir was started only one year ago and not in 2008?

Comment

Working...
                      X