Lots Of Ubuntu Mir Changes Expected Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    I have yet to see a single ad over the last 10 years by either Nvidia or ATI/AMD aimed at workstations.
    How many ads do you see for workstations period? How many ads do you see for servers? Do you really think that companies base multi-million-dollar purchases on TV ads?
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 15 August 2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

And here I was hoping this would be the first Mir thread that actually focused on Mir and didn't turn into a Mir/Ubuntu vs Wayland/Everything Else discussion

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
        I have yet to see a single ad over the last 10 years by either Nvidia or ATI/AMD aimed at workstations. Yet millions and millions each year are spent by both advertising gaming cards. The key word here is LINUX workstations,which are not all GPU dependant and in the minority compared to windows. Its clear gaming returns a large chunk of revenue on the windows/ console platforms. With linux continually being pushed as a viable gaming platform, with a little help from valve, this whole workstation argument will soon become moot.
        I have yet to see a single ad EVER, by Nvidia or ATI/AMD aimed at the linux gaming community. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Take a look at this article:

Count how many are using Ubuntu (1, Weta, which also uses RHEL), and how many are using Red Hat (all the rest).
          article is from 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised that 4 years later more than 1 is using Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Absolutely nothing will run directly on Mir except full-screen OpenGL things like games.
            Where did you get the idea games will run directly on Mir? Games just bypass any display server and uses direct rendering. Not a single line of code in games uses Mir. The code for working with the display underneath is also X.

Mostly off topic, but have anyone noticed how Xubuntu is used on lot more test cases than Ubuntu?

Comment

"After" KDE/Gnome wars haha.

But like I said, I'm not against Mir, I just prefer Wayland.
              As for the GPU support, it's been said before but both Mir and Wayland use EGL backends (well, I was told that Wayland is backend agnostic, but I assume it's most common use will be EGL) so a GPU driver that supports Mir will work with Wayland (and vice versa) with little to no effort.

Also, you can't forget that RHEL has decided to support Wayland, and the GPU manufacturers aren't just going to give up their enterprise user-base
              I remember those wars. (Gnome user here) I really don't care about who wins, or both. I'm just glad attention is being paid to better Linux. I personally think that though Wayland might be better in some ways, they will go the way of Betamax while the standard with more connections (VHS/Mir) will be the chosen one in the end.

I simply can't believe all the hate for this situation. Boeing/Airbus, Ford/Chevy, Intel/AMD, AMD/Nvidia, various pairs all around that help push the progress mark. Considering the meager beginnings of Linux I would have thought people would have simply been happy such effort was being put forth.

FWIW (Boeing, Chevy, Intel, Nvidia) are my choices. Flame on

Comment

Absolutely nothing will run directly on Mir except full-screen OpenGL things like games. All other apps will run through a full-screen XMir "window".
                At least that's what I've seen so far.

To me it seems like a publicity stunt gone wrong. They are intentionally slowing down their distribution to showcase a product that (A) isn't close to being finished (read: usable) and (B) Isn't even being USED except to pass data to a running X window because of (A).

Mir is fine and all for them (I am personally on the Wayland side, but I'm not a fanatic about it), but don't INTENTIONALLY f**k up your distro. Seriously people...

they probably crunched the numbers and saw most users aren't using the opensource drivers, so only a small part of users will be running it.

Comment

just curious, how ubuntuers think RedHat make 1 billion USD profit yearly[growing every year btw] + multibillion USD market net worth?? and if gamers are nVidia focus on linux and ubuntu is the linux for the masses[1% global market at best]how you explain canonical is in technical bankruptcy? i mean mark have a heart attack tomorrow and canonical don't have cash to pay their taxes in the bank.

money from gamers in linux for nvidia/amd is almost nothing and those that use ubuntu payed and registered the hardware as microsoft income and normally is very cheap hardware with very low profits margin, sure valve will help but so far is in its infancy and nvidia/amd won0t risk their money income in an "Maybe", valve has to provide solid proof and have many AAA+ studios with ported games for either take the risk.

this can change either side in 1 or 2 years, so stop the delusions and FUD and lets wait which path shareholders take assuming they have to, beside i doubt valve go with either right now until things settle up, they will use X until is safe to move because in real world port engines cost money and valve is not a charity or an kickstarter

Comment

Cool news about mir. I look forward to testing the changes. The NVIDIA AMD binary blob announcement falling between 13.10 and 14.04 is very cool. That plus the SDL support for mir in an earlier thread, is good news for linux gamers (most of whom are on ubuntu according to steam).

The same tired repeated debate (mir/wayland crap) in the thread can slink off to a corner and die already.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                      I remember those wars. (Gnome user here) I really don't care about who wins, or both. I'm just glad attention is being paid to better Linux. I personally think that though Wayland might be better in some ways, they will go the way of Betamax while the standard with more connections (VHS/Mir) will be the chosen one in the end.

I simply can't believe all the hate for this situation. Boeing/Airbus, Ford/Chevy, Intel/AMD, AMD/Nvidia, various pairs all around that help push the progress mark. Considering the meager beginnings of Linux I would have thought people would have simply been happy such effort was being put forth.

FWIW (Boeing, Chevy, Intel, Nvidia) are my choices. Flame on
                      Nobody aside from Canonical will ever choose Mir, because it's developed with Unity in mind. So any "win" of Canonical in that regard is mostly worthless to the rest of the desktop Linux platform, because they're using a different display stack and a different desktop environment. Also, Mir and Wayland aren't exactly direct competitors, either. Wayland is not affected by the Mir developments, they continue trying to get things set up perfectly, just as before. Had Canonical stayed with Wayland, or at least given up on Mir, this whole mess could have been averted.

Comment

Working...
                      X