Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Drops Support For Sun's SPARC

Phoronix: Ubuntu Drops Support For Sun's SPARC

If you were hoping to run Ubuntu 8.04 on your Sun UltraSPARC T2 "Niagara 2" processor, guess again. It was just two years ago that Mark Shuttleworth announced at JavaOne 2006 that Ubuntu would be supporting Sun's SPARC architecture starting with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The folks at canonical do a lot of things right. I don't feel that selecting architectures is one of them.

We still don't have ubuntu working on the ps3 yet..
    SPARC is the best architecture out there, and they need to use it in a FOSS only laptop. It's Open. It needs to be encouraged. A heavily fragmented ISA market is great for FOSS, and x86 needs to go die.
    Many people still have PPC macs.

Get Google to buy Canonical. They can give it the power it needs to do things without cutting corners. I hear Google uses Ubuntu now, and their becoming a linux distributor would send waves through redmond like none other. I want to see chairs fly. I want to see ubuntu work on the PS3. I want to see SPARC kill x86.

Look! A teenager so idealistic he's willing to give up his games in WINE for the cause!

Comment

Uh...

Personally, I'm glad they dropped support for it. Because looking at the numbers (click), sparc was less popular than the unsupported powerpc. It was a huge drain on resources and that's it.

(Doesn't mean it won't be installable on them anymore, I'm sure someone will keep a port for sparc)

Comment

This is disappointing. Let's hope other linux distros go on to support Niagara at some stage, otherwise it's back to Solaris

Comment

It's really hard to buy Sparc hardware, otherwise I would have had a Niagara 2 for a year to boast with..

Comment

Get debian

Way better anyway

Comment

Debian doesn't support Niagara properly.. and having run a bunch of Debian servers, and a bunch of Ubuntu servers, the Ubuntu ones are faaar less painful to manage.

(although there's a Solaris machine sitting in the corner, so compared to that anything's easy )

Comment

Hello

Personally, I'm glad they dropped support for it. Because looking at the numbers (click), sparc was less popular than the unsupported powerpc. It was a huge drain on resources and that's it.

Comment

Working...
                X