ZRAM Might Finally Be Moved Out Of Linux Staging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Because X.org can run on any piece-of-shit old legacy 1980s video card with 2 MB video memory that can output colors on screen with a VESA framebuffer on a simplistic device driver.

But with Wayland you need a relatively modern graphics card that supports OpenGL and a device driver with support for KMS and hardware acceleration.
    No you don't. RPi runs Wayland right now, with software rendering (and IIRC it already runs better than X). Wayland is backend-agnostic, you can pretty much run it on anything if you just write a backend for it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Because X.org can run on any piece-of-shit old legacy 1980s video card with 2 MB video memory that can output colors on screen with a VESA framebuffer on a simplistic device driver.

But with Wayland you need a relatively modern graphics card that supports OpenGL and a device driver with support for KMS and hardware acceleration.
      Jesus christ you people are thick....

WAYLAND DOES NOT HAVE A HARD-REQUIREMENT ON 3D GRAPHICS OR OPENGL. SOFTWARE RENDERING IS SUPPORTED AND WILL WORK JUST FINE.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Oh, that means I can run Wayland in my shitty 2 MB of VRAM video piece of shit? It's going to look amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          Oh, that means I can run Wayland in my shitty 2 MB of VRAM video piece of shit? It's going to look amazing!
          Depends....How much system memory ya got? And do you use X on that NOW? If i had one that old I would probably just use that at console mode and restrict it for like file serving..

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            I have to take it that you are being sarcastic. I don't think anybody in there right minds would try to run wayland on such a card.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              I have to take it that you are being sarcastic. I don't think anybody in there right minds would try to run wayland on such a card.
              I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to run modern X on such a card Lol hence why my reply was equally sarcastic :-P

Comment

zram is used by default in live mode for Kanotix LinuxTag edition. Without 1 gb ram was not enough to surf longer with KDE edition and it lets you use LXDE even with 512 mb (or a bit less). Seemed to be stable enough.

Comment

I've been using it for years, ever since it was compcache. Never failed for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X