Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.11 Released With Its Early KWin Wayland Code

Phoronix: KDE 4.11 Released With Its Early KWin Wayland Code

KDE Software Compilation 4.11 has been released as its six-month update to the KDE desktop environment stack. With KDE 4.11 comes many exciting changes ahead of the KDE Frameworks 5 transition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Already in kubuntu backports ppa. Installed it today, loving it so far

Kwin 4.11 is SO.MUCH.BETTER. Butter smooth, and finally no tearing on intel. Switching to KDE fulltime finally!

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

Kwin 4.11 is SO.MUCH.BETTER. Butter smooth, and finally no tearing on intel. Switching to KDE fulltime finally!
      Interestingly if you install it on Fedora 19 via the KDE SIG repo... They don't seem to install the new QML version of the menu (And I don't just mean by default, I mean its not even an applet choice) Also I'm not sure if they install the new QML Taskbar. Did include the new battery applet however so thats good.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        This is also the last feature release for KDE4 Workspaces as its developers begin to focus greater on KDE5.
        There will never ever be a KDE5.

Comment

KDE 5 = KDE Frameworks 5 + Plasma Workspaces 2 + KDE Applications, all compiled against Qt 5.

The transition will be MUCH smoother this time, and it's already happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            KDE 5 = KDE Frameworks 5 + Plasma Workspaces 2 + KDE Applications, all compiled against Qt 5.
            None of which will be released at the same time. It won't even be the case that all applications will be ported to Qt5/KF5 simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              None of which will be released at the same time. It won't even be the case that all applications will be ported to Qt5/KF5 simultaneously.
              I'm glad they learned from the initial KDE4 disaster and are doing things more gradually this time

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

What changed with the Intel tearing, you think? Fullscreen undirecting or something else?

I've been using Openbox with Xorg Composite disabled (on NVIDIA) as the last release of KDE did seem to have some extra tearing, but mostly I think that's because I started using dual monitors with TwinView.

I'd love to be able to go back to KDE when I can, wonderful environment.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  What changed with the Intel tearing, you think? Fullscreen undirecting or something else?

I've been using Openbox with Xorg Composite disabled (on NVIDIA) as the last release of KDE did seem to have some extra tearing, but mostly I think that's because I started using dual monitors with TwinView.

I'd love to be able to go back to KDE when I can, wonderful environment.
                  Details are in this bug reports comments: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=307965

It was because kwin uses copy_sub_buffer_mesa (which is not longer supported by intel hardware for tear-free output) among other things.
                  Last edited by bwat47; 14 August 2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    well KDE SC bundled app will be, you won't release KF5 and say kwin comes later or kate next month but certainly external apps like kdenlive or calligra or amarok, etc can take more time to be fully migrated.

hopefully by then you can use X11 and mix the apps or XWayland should have reached upstream so you can still use your KDE SC 4 apps through XWayland until the full migration is done

Comment

Working...
                    X