Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    My comments with kernel 3.11:

* uvd works like a charm even with Adobe Flash!
    In which flash/version+browser/version? What site?

Comment

Flash 11.2.202.297 / Firefox 23 / youtube

Comment

Currently running kernel DRM-Next 3.11. I am thinking about installing Mesa 9.2 from here and following these instructions myself:

I have a some questions, I'm on ubuntu 12.10 and to do this do I need to uninstall my current Mesa version or just install the one from git; and what if I want to uninstall, how would I go about removing the git version and installing ubuntu's official version? Do I simply run make uninstall in the extracted zip folder?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushido_root View Post
          Currently running kernel DRM-Next 3.11. I am thinking about installing Mesa 9.2 from here and following these instructions myself:

I have a some questions, I'm on ubuntu 12.10 and to do this do I need to uninstall my current Mesa version or just install the one from git; and what if I want to uninstall, how would I go about removing the git version and installing ubuntu's official version? Do I simply run make uninstall in the extracted zip folder?
          You cant just uninstall Mesa, it will take many necessary GUI (x server) components it. On Ubuntu, you either make install and overwrite the old Mesa or maybe use some PPA.
          If you did the overwrite thing, you will have to reinstall the Ubuntu packages if you want them back - dont make uninstall, you mught break the x server.

Note - if you want to use the new dpm/uvd stuff you will need libdrm (2.4.46 or something), xserver-xorg-video-radeon(7.2 if im not mistaken) too at a newer version.

PS I install the git version and i overwrite the default mesa on Debian. I never had any problems doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
            You cant just uninstall Mesa, it will take many necessary GUI (x server) components it. On Ubuntu, you either make install and overwrite the old Mesa or maybe use some PPA.
            If you did the overwrite thing, you will have to reinstall the Ubuntu packages if you want them back - dont make uninstall, you mught break the x server.

Note - if you want to use the new dpm/uvd stuff you will need libdrm (2.4.46 or something), xserver-xorg-video-radeon(7.2 if im not mistaken) too at a newer version.

PS I install the git version and i overwrite the default mesa on Debian. I never had any problems doing it.
            Alright, thanks for the info. (btw I have libdrm 2.4.43, DPM works just fine)

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              Flash 11.2.202.297 / Firefox 23 / youtube
              Do you have "accelerated video rendering, hardware video decoding" if you look at "stats for nerds" right click option?

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
                Do you have "accelerated video rendering, hardware video decoding" if you look at "stats for nerds" right click option?
                It says: "accelerated video rendering, accelerated video decoding"

Also when I start playback of a video on youtube I get a syslog entry:

Code:
                switching from power state:
                 ui class: performance
                 internal class: none

switching to power state:
                 ui class: none
                 internal class: uvd

Comment

Do UVD clocks take priority over high-performance clocks?

For example, it's a pretty known issue that on Windows, if you play a game (high-performance clocks), and open up Flash Player content (Adobe), it will drop both the core and memory clocks to UVD media clocks, leading to lower-performance of the game, and possibly causing system-wide instability on multi-monitor setups.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

For example, it's a pretty known issue that on Windows, if you play a game (high-performance clocks), and open up Flash Player content (Adobe), it will drop both the core and memory clocks to UVD media clocks
                    Yes. I see the same behavior on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

For example, it's a pretty known issue that on Windows, if you play a game (high-performance clocks), and open up Flash Player content (Adobe), it will drop both the core and memory clocks to UVD media clocks, leading to lower-performance of the game...
                      The UVD clocks are separate from the engine and memory clocks, however, UVD clocks are part of the the power state. There are specific power states for UVD that are designed based on playback requirements and board design. The UVD power state details will vary from board to board. The engine and memory clocks in the UVD power state need to be high enough to maintain apprioriate performance for video playback and support multiple displays, but low enough to handle board specific cooling and power budgets during UVD playback. The UVD state low performance levels are not always as low as the performance levels in the other power states and the UVD state high performance levels may not be as high as the high performance levels in the performance states, but it really depends on the board.
                      Last edited by agd5f; 11 September 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X