Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elementary OS Releases "Luna" Ubuntu Platform

Phoronix: Elementary OS Releases "Luna" Ubuntu Platform

The Elementary OS crew, a group of young designers seeking to create a beautiful and simple Linux distribution, have released Elementary OS 0.2 "Luna" as their latest Ubuntu-based operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting idea. But using GNOME Shell makes it completely impractical.

Comment

Did they remove all the repositories from Ubuntu or what? I'm unable to install VLC, Chrome, Pidgin, ntfs-config... What the hell?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        It doesn't use Gnome Shell; it's build of Wingpanel (top panel), Slingshot (launcher), Gala (a Mutter based window manager), Pantheon Wallpaper (wallpaper app), Plank (the dock), varios indicators and such.

Comment

luna does NOT USE GNOME-SHELL. It uses its own DE (called pantheon) written from scratch using vala/gtk3 (and libmutter for the gala window manager). Luna's pantheon environment is not based on gnome, nor is it a fork of gnome.

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          It doesn't use Gnome Shell; it's build of Wingpanel (top panel), Slingshot (launcher), Gala (a Mutter based window manager), Pantheon Wallpaper (wallpaper app), Plank (the dock), varios indicators and such.
          "Pantheon" is the name of the entire DE (which does indeed include wingpanel, plank, gala, indicators etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by teahopper View Post
            Did they remove all the repositories from Ubuntu or what? I'm unable to install VLC, Chrome, Pidgin, ntfs-config... What the hell?
            I had no problem installing these when I used it... (I haven't tried the final release yet though, but I didn try beta 2 pretty recently. Try opening "software sources" and making sure the appropriate repos are checked?
            Last edited by bwat47; 11 August 2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Old software

What a disappointment that it consists of old software.

It uses kernel 3.2 or 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                luna does NOT USE GNOME-SHELL. It uses its own DE (called pantheon) written from scratch using vala/gtk3 (and libmutter for the gala window manager). Luna's pantheon environment is not based on gnome, nor is it a fork of gnome.
                A retract my statement and amend it thusforth:

It's a shame it's as impractical as gnome shell.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  What a disappointment that it consists of old software.

It uses kernel 3.2 or 3.5.
                  Starting with 12.04, canonical always makes kernel backports available in the repos for LTS releases, so 12.04 has kernel backports in its repos. It has the quantal and raring kernels (and graphics stacks) available. The kernel package is called "linux-generic-lts-raring" or something like that. i had it installed when I used luna beta 2 (because I need it for my brightness keys to work).

People keep making very uninformed comments in this thread.

A retract my statement and amend it thusforth:

It's a shame it's as impractical as gnome shell.
                  and how is it impractical. have you even used it?
                  Last edited by bwat47; 11 August 2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

"There really aren't as many technical innovations in the distribution as they are just seeking about beautifying the end-user interfaces."

This sentence is so wrong that it's funny. Really good HCI is definitely technical innovation, even more so when we are talking about Linux distros.

Also, all Elementary apps are great. Gala is based on Mutter and is faster and less resource consuming than Gnome Shell. Pantheon Files is one of the best file browsers. Music/Noise is lightweight, fast, has a 10 band equalizer and Last.fm integration, so most of you should be covered. Audience and Scratch are just awesome.

I encourage everyone to try elementary OS, even if you find out that it doesn't fit your needs, it is awesome how much effort they have put into this distro and how well organized they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X