Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Receives Video Improvements

Phoronix: Nouveau Receives Video Improvements

A set of patches were published this weekend to improve the Nouveau NVIDIA Gallium3D graphics driver's handling of video playback acceleration for certain scenarios...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think we should start a Kickstarter campaign for implementing core/mem reclocking and fan management on all GeForce GPUs that support these features - without them Nouveau is unusable for 95% of NVIDIA users. Michael's website has so many visitors I believe we can easily collect half a million dollars - that's gonna be more than enough to employ at least seven highly skilled system programmers for a year.

I do understand that RH employs a nouveau hacker - but one person is definitely not enough for a project like this.

I've never donated for any Kickstarter projects, but for this one I'll probably do.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I think we should start a Kickstarter campaign for implementing core/mem reclocking and fan management on all GeForce GPUs that support these features - without them Nouveau is unusable for 95% of NVIDIA users. Michael's website has so many visitors I believe we can easily collect half a million dollars - that's gonna be more than enough to employ at least seven highly skilled system programmers for a year.

I do understand that RH employs a nouveau hacker - but one person is definitely not enough for a project like this.

I've never donated for any Kickstarter projects, but for this one I'll probably do.
      First off, that couldn't pay 7 devs for a year. Maybe 3-4.

Second, what kind of person is going to quit their job for a 1 year temporary position, at the end of which they're going to have to look for another?

Third, you'd be lucky to get $25000, let alone half a million.

It's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Second, what kind of person is going to quit their job for a 1 year temporary position, at the end of which they're going to have to look for another?

I know a few hackers that would work for 50 grand a year. At 500 grand that is at least 10 full time hackers. But you are right I don't think a project like that could raise 25 grand let alone 50 or 500.

EDIT: The kind of person that would take on such a job is the kind that isnt already full time employed. There are a tone of hackers out there that are unemployed or underemployed.
        Last edited by duby229; 11 August 2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I think we should start a Kickstarter campaign
          Then do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Then do it.
            We'll collect the money, then what? First, we need to find the people who can really implement these features - writing GPU drivers is probably the hardest programming in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

3-4 would be more than enough.

Comment

3-4 would be more than enough.
                I agree, but you aren't going to find "highly skilled system hackers". You're going to find out of work guys, and people fresh out of college, or still going to college.

And good luck reaching that goal. There's nothing stopping you from starting that kickstarter, by the way. I say go for it. The worst thing that happens is no one donates anything.

Comment

Working...
                X