Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Impact Of Fedora 19 Updates

Phoronix: The Performance Impact Of Fedora 19 Updates

With Fedora more liberally pushing down package updates compared to Ubuntu Linux and other fixed-release distributions, how has the performance evolved since the release of "Schr?dinger's Cat" in early July? Here's some benchmarks showing how the Fedora 19 performance has evolved with a newer kernel and other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those interested on Windows side opposite is result of keeping OS fully updated Win7 updates slow OS down...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
      For those interested on Windows side opposite is result of keeping OS fully updated Win7 updates slow OS down...
      ... still faster than linux

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
        Only if your video drivers suck. (AMD)

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
          Nvidia's GPU's are faster on Linux then Windows even on the old shitty Xorg server

Comment

On the AMD driver bashing note:

I Have been using a HD6950 without issues using the Catalyst Drivers, With this I was able to Play Various Windows Games via Wine and Native without an difference in end user experience compared to the Binary Nvidia Blob (GTX660)
            Please think before posting and just don't just tag along with the crowd. Dig in and test yourselves. IF you do have issues share and let us all work together to resolve them

I will also admit that the Catalyst Installer has been a lot more user friendly and first time successful than the Nvidia's installer time and time again on Debian Testing.

What have you guys experienced?

Comment

Originally posted by kwagga View Post
              On the AMD driver bashing note:

I Have been using a HD6950 without issues using the Catalyst Drivers, With this I was able to Play Various Windows Games via Wine and Native without an difference in end user experience compared to the Binary Nvidia Blob (GTX660)
              Please think before posting and just don't just tag along with the crowd. Dig in and test yourselves. IF you do have issues share and let us all work together to resolve them

I will also admit that the Catalyst Installer has been a lot more user friendly and first time successful than the Nvidia's installer time and time again on Debian Testing.

What have you guys experienced?
              The crowd? I'd say what's widely known http://askubuntu.com/questions/17863...raphics-driver The 'legacy' chipset bollocks, the requirement of Xorg 1.13 or older bollocks. We could go on.

On the subject - does a regular user stand a chance in noticing such performance changes?

Comment

Well as you can see there is a small across-the-board advantage for updating your cat. I really like this method of small constant improvement in Linux.

But the actual performance difference here is so small that i really doubt anyone can notice.
                Last edited by varikonniemi; 11 August 2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Any of you using bumblebee with F19?Anything of note to report ?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    Nvidia's GPU's are faster on Linux then Windows even on the old shitty Xorg server
                    Nice story, broo

Comment

Working...
                    X