Orbital: A New Shell For Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    Pardon my ignorance, but why is there lag in the recording? I understand it's only in the recording, but I thought Wayland/Weston would never have any lag or artifacts.

Am I just missing something? Please elaborate or feel free to correct me.
    The policy is frames have no artifacts, and are presented in an ordered fashion (i.e., you will not see anything "going back and forth" in the render). Recording usually implies a fixed number of frames per second. If frames and recording are not synced, you might see some lag on the record. At least, I understand it this way.

Comment

Nice Demonstration.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next Generation!

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Weston has a built in wcap utility that records directly to webm video.
        mmm, this is disturbing, if this demo was recorded using a native wayland utility and laggued, things are not so superior as they have been sold to us.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          mmm, this is disturbing, if this demo was recorded using a native wayland utility and laggued, things are not so superior as they have been sold to us.
          The state of the native recording tool is a good indicator of the whole project, because...?

Comment

Oh please enlighten us how HW never will come in to play... Never mind the fact that under stress it seems to operate exactly as promised.

Comment

Screencasting is a heavy process, whatever the utility you use. You have to ask the graphics card for the framebuffer every frame and dump it to the hdd. Transferring data from the graphics card to the main RAM is slow, and that's because how the PCI-X slot works. Then if the HDD can't keep up it starts dropping frames and you'll get lag in the final video.

Anyway, I've done another one (with no lag this time ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1hguj2bPE

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
                Screencasting is a heavy process, whatever the utility you use. You have to ask the graphics card for the framebuffer every frame and dump it to the hdd. Transferring data from the graphics card to the main RAM is slow, and that's because how the PCI-X slot works. Then if the HDD can't keep up it starts dropping frames and you'll get lag in the final video.
                Sorry if that question may sound stupid, but couldn't the lag be avoided/minimized with large enough buffers (modern RAM should be able to hold way more than one frame while the HDD is busy) and when using the timestamps (IIRC Wayland timestamps each frame) ?

Comment

Sure, there are various ways to optimize the process, but it remains a heavy job.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                    Sorry if that question may sound stupid, but couldn't the lag be avoided/minimized with large enough buffers (modern RAM should be able to hold way more than one frame while the HDD is busy) and when using the timestamps (IIRC Wayland timestamps each frame) ?
                    You still forgot a) the cost of VRAM->RAM transfers (as was already mentioned) and b) the computational cost of encoding high resolution video in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      You still forgot a) the cost of VRAM->RAM transfers (as was already mentioned) and b) the computational cost of encoding high resolution video in real time.
                      Maybe some video cards can encode video directly from buffers?
                      I also suppose the issues are mostly the same when doing remote display?

Comment

Working...
                      X