Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.11 Power Consumption Results Are Mixed

Phoronix: Linux 3.11 Power Consumption Results Are Mixed

Separate from the important Radeon DPM support in Linux 3.11 that can sharply lower system power usage when using this forthcoming kernel update, there's been other power-related changes in recent Linux kernel releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Get it! Michael

If you wish to support this timely and investigative testing for the continued Linux power consumption (and performance-per-Watt) situation, please consider making a PayPal contribution or subscribing to Phoronix Premium.
    You have a lot of haters who add to the cacophony of wailers of your openly asking, or even that "you have too many advertisements", but I'd rather that than see Phoronix end up like The H.

Mayhap you should ask more often. Keep open the doors! There's nothing else out there like Phoronix.

Comment

Nothing to be proud of. There should be a "power-saving related commits only!" year...

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
        Nothing to be proud of. There should be a "power-saving related commits only!" year...
        So weird thing I've noticed. If I turn on USB Auto-Suspend on my laptop, my USB 3.0 port stops working. Like my 2.0 port works fine, if I plug something in, it registers. But if I plug something in the 3.0 port and Auto-Suspend is on, dmesg won't ever register that something plugged in. Its like instead of going to 'asleep but watching for events' to went all the way to "Powered off" which is weird. Yay over-zealous power management? XD
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          So weird thing I've noticed. If I turn on USB Auto-Suspend on my laptop, my USB 3.0 port stops working. Like my 2.0 port works fine, if I plug something in, it registers. But if I plug something in the 3.0 port and Auto-Suspend is on, dmesg won't ever register that something plugged in. Its like instead of going to 'asleep but watching for events' to went all the way to "Powered off" which is weird. Yay over-zealous power management? XD
          More like a "Yay, hardware not behaving like the documentation/hardware the developers have!".
          Something similar happened to me before. Worked nice on my desktop, but on my laptop it did not. It turned out my BIOS did not properly set up everything.

Comment

Working...
          X