Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing More For An Open NVIDIA

Phoronix: Doing More For An Open NVIDIA

Following the open letter to NVIDIA at OpenTheBlob.com that takes aim at NVIDIA's lack of a reliable open-source driver, now out is a letter geared for NVIDIA's board partners (ASUS, Dell, BFG Tech, etc). This happens to be based off of a strategy I discussed before for frustrated ATI customers prior to the new driver code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

System76 knows the problem, hasn't done anything about it

System76 has already been asked to drop NVIDIA, but they still only sell NVIDIA discrete cards instead of ATI/AMD:

Last edited by stan; 12 March 2008, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
      System76 has already been asked to drop NVIDIA, but they still only sell NVIDIA descrete cards instead of ATI/AMD:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=688040
      It's not that they need to drop NVidia. Right at the moment, NVidia's the only company with credible devices for performance work under OpenGL under Linux. Shortly, AMD will be a credible resource for that- when it is, then they can drop 'em.

It doesn't do any good to ask them to cut their nose off to spite their face.

Comment

i used the form on the ASUS site, got a sort of generic answer that my request way forwarded to the proper person

but Gainward just said " we will update your suggestion to NVIDIA about Linux drivers."

Comment

ASUS is not willing

I have just received an answer from ASUS support saying that their corporate policy is not supporting Linux on their notebooks and that they will thus not be able to help with the issue

Comment

Originally posted by alchark View Post
            I have just received an answer from ASUS support saying that their corporate policy is not supporting Linux on their notebooks and that they will thus not be able to help with the issue
            Surely they kid. Have they looked at their product range lately?

Comment

Well, it looks rather strange for me, too, but that is what they replied:
              Здравствуйте!

Спасибо за обращение в службу технической поддержки ASUS.

Мы не поддерживаем установку Linux на всех наших ноутбуках - такова корпоративная политика.
              Поэтому, боюсь, мы Вам не сможем помочь.

-------------------------------------
              С уважением,
              ASUS, Служба технической поддержки
              ...which stands for:
              Hello!

Thank you for your inquiry to ASUS technical support.

We do not support installing Linux on all our laptops - that is the corporate policy.
              So, I am afraid that we will not be able to help you.

Regards,
              ASUS technical support

Comment

Well, it looks rather strange for me, too, but that is what they replied:

...which stands for:
                Which is very whack, considering that they have the eeePC and they're not changing that it supports Linux anytime soon. Seems to me that the right hand doesn't know what the left one's doing.

If I wanted to be a smartarse, I'd respond back with "what is running on the eeePC, then?" but it'd be a waste of time, I suspect.

Comment

Well, if we approach it formally, they do not claim that they do not support Linux on any of their laptops. Rather, they do not support it on all. Anyways, this is a strange point for them to make. Do they really believe in Windows' superiority that much?

Comment

Do they really believe in Windows' superiority that much?
                    No. it would have to do more with the added costs of supporting more then one OS, let alone the many distro's of linux, each with their own quirks. Trying to support all of them would be a financial and logistical nightmare as issues seen on one distro is not present on another.

Comment

Working...
                    X