Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 8.3 and Fedora 8 x86_64 won't build

Hi

It seems every time I upgrade I need to post!

I have just performed a clean install of Fedora 8 x86_64. I updated the kernel (only -- i.e. kernel, hernel-headers and kernel-devel, but no other rpm's) and then wanted to install the ATI drivers. My graphics card is a Radeon X1300.

When I ran the buildpkg F8, I go these errors:

mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1-4562-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.471/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*': No such file or directory
    mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1-4562-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.471/usr/X11R6/lib/*.so.*': No such file or directory
    Package build failed!

... a whole lot of build messages, and then ...

==============================
    You must change your working directory to /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1-4562-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1.f8-root-root/lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    ==============================

... a whole lot of build messages, and then ...

Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1-4562-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1.f8-root-root

RPM build errors:
    File not found by glob: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1-4562-root/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.471-1.f8-root-root/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*
    So I extracted the package with the --extract option, then went to http://phorogit.com/ and downloaded the latest fglrx-packaging.tar.gz. I extracted this and replaced the FEDORA scripts in the original extract.

When I tried to build the packages I got the same faults.

PLEASE help ...

(For this reason when I bought a new laptop for work late last year, it was an Intel based laptop!)

Thanks
    Louis

I just had the drivers installed, but not distribution packaged. Also on Fedora 8.

Comment

Hi

Sadly I have not received any help from this forum as yet.

However, following the advice of

I installed the kmod-fglrx RPM file from Livna.

This installed version 8.45.5, which while not being the very latest version, is an EFFORTLESS improvement over the struggle of unbuildable packages!!

glxgears previously ran at 850 FPS under Vesa, and now is at a much more pleasing 4074 FPS.

I truly hope that the installation issues of the ATI drivers are sorted out. It is *SO* frustrating to try to install them in their currently unworkable state. It also makes it VERY hard to convince friends to make the switch to Linux, when you have to battle your butt off just to make their hardware work.

So: 3 cheers to the guys at Livna.

Comment

Indeed three cheers, until you get some GL errors like what happened to me with the Livna package and glxgears and many other GL screensavers.

Comment

I'll look into the problem, thought I had fixed it a few days ago but will check again.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ah, thanks Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
              I just had the drivers installed, but not distribution packaged. Also on Fedora 8.
              Ditto here; I installed the driver using a somewhat more direct approach (eg., I didn't build RPMs, I just installed it directly) after having apparently the exact same problems building the driver w "--buildpkg".

I've also successfully installed the driver on Fedora 8/AMD 64 edition by simply running the installer; I literally typed:
              Code:
              ./ati-driver-installer-8-3-x86.x86_64.run
              the default action is --install, and that's exactly what it did. I was in gnome-terminal on another machine at the time and it actually popped up the graphical installer at that point, whereupon I clicked "install driver", "ok", watched and waited, and then, after it told me it had successfully completed (and I verified that it at least looked like it had - more on that in a minute), I rebooted the machine to runlevel 3, copied over the xorg.conf file that I already had configured previously, ran "startx", and that was that; everything seems to be working properly.

As far as the machines I've set up here are concerned, they're x2 Athlon systems (hopefully soon to be joined by a Phenom or two) running Fedora 8, amd64 (x86_64) edition, with all available updates applied as of 14 March 2008; kernel version == 2.6.24.3-12.fc8, X is X.org.

Hope that helps; if nothing else, you should at least be able to get the drivers installed; I'm not aware of any downside to installing the drivers the way I described - at least, not with the configuration I described (Fedora 8/amd64, X.org 7.3, etc.).

- Larry

Comment

Working...
              X