"Mega Drivers" Being Proposed For A Faster Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arashbm View Post
    Error in same order of magnitude as the results? We call it insignificant (or nothing).

I also can't understand those trailing digits (these after 0.7 in -0.798709%) if we have an error of 0.3%. they absolutely don't have any value or meaning.
    The results look significant to me at alpha=5% (non null hypothesis).

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
      the performace gain from this seems to be very small, but yah every bit helps.
      the time for CD distros is over go with a dvd, no one uses it anyway they use a usb :P
      Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Mint can't be put a CD already since a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        6% performance improvement across the board? Sounds like the next step. What does this mean for out-of-tree Direct3D and CUDA state trackers?
        Seems that it's only when hardware acceleration disabled (see INTEL_NO_HW=1 in article). If so, perfomance grow should be lesser in normal situation, i.e when acceleration enabled.

Comment

I see two downsides:
          - you can't remove or update drivers separately
          - the dropped DRI drivers that one could previously build from an earlier release, would this break them?

Comment

Originally posted by arashbm View Post
            Error in same order of magnitude as the results? We call it insignificant (or nothing).

I also can't understand those trailing digits (these after 0.7 in -0.798709%) if we have an error of 0.3%. they absolutely don't have any value or meaning.
            Those numbers aren't the interesting ones!
            These are:
            On a megadrivers+LTO compared to non-megadrivers, non-LTO, the difference was -6.35008% +/- 0.675067% (n=10).

Comment

Amazing. How one still can go in against common software development sense even after having worked in the software industry for 7 years.

Comment

And I thought this was about a 16-bit console from the 90's.... what a disappointing article

Comment

Network install require landline bandwidth

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                  USB? Who installs using those? TFTP/PXE/NFS is where it's at!
                  Those of us who do not have a reliable high-bandwidth connection cannot install over the network and
                  must have all packages or the filesystem image locally prior to beginning an installation. I have never
                  had landline internet at home, thus never done and install over a network.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    Those of us who do not have a reliable high-bandwidth connection cannot install over the network and
                    must have all packages or the filesystem image locally prior to beginning an installation. I have never
                    had landline internet at home, thus never done and install over a network.
                    This has nothing to do with having a high bandwidth internet connection.

Comment

I use local installers and local OS's only

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                      This has nothing to do with having a high bandwidth internet connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot...on_Environment
                      To install a new system from scratch (not a copy of my existing systems), I must first go to a library
                      to fetch a full CD/DVD installer image from an uncapped/unthrottled internet connection. Then that is taken
                      home and used for installation. The exact same OS on the netbook, updated on the road, later
                      fetches packages which are harvested from /var/cache/apt/archives and used again at home on
                      the video editing desktop machine.

For actually running a system, I require all binaries locally on my own machines not only for
                      bandwidth but also security reasons.

Thus, installing from a full installer image on a flash drive or a DVD is by no means obsolete,
                      different users have different needs. With open source and many distros, people can choose for
                      themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X